1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a reliable DLP at the smaller end of spectrum

Discussion in 'TVs' started by la gran siete, Jun 5, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Ie "46 max . I dont want a sodding gr8 screen in my front room but i do want something that is reliable and lasts donkeys years. Reading some of the posts ijn here it would appear that relaibilty is a real issue with these screens. Am I right or wrong? I also read somewhere else that the only thing to go wrong is the bulb which needs replacing after 8000 hrs use which in itself contradicts the reliabilyt issue. :lease:

2. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yeah all dlp tvs need a new bulb after a certian amount of hours.

3. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    you must be the only one who does not want a sodding great screen lol. even though they are big the pic quality is amazing, so why not :D

4. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup, i used to think that.......46'' used to be big enough, but now i'm thinking; 56'' isn't big enough :D :D

the way i see it, is there's no point bothering with dlp unless you want a big screen, because if you dont, then a plasma or crt is ok.

but you cant get a great atmosphere on a small screen :D :D, the closest to a cinema screen the better

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    well for one thing it would totally dominate my room for another the wife would throw a fit and lastly if it was too big I'd have to sit in the garden. :)

As I understand it they recommend sitting in a position which is 2 or 3 times the diametrical measurement of the screen . Currently we are at about 9 ft so I reckon 46" to be about the max.56" ? Definitely in the garden!

Any way I'm really concerned abot the reliabilty issue. Which sets would you guys recommnend ?

6. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG 44 DLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smashin:
    Only joking :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

7. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I only sit about 8-9 ft away from my sammy 50", yes it dominates the room a wee bit but def not too big and no compromise in the PQ. I always thought that 50" would be too big but now i think i could bigger though i'll def wait a few years now, would love the 80 odd" mitsibushi Razor posted a link to. I would recommend the saamy but im biased, take some dvds to a store and demo the sammys, 46", 50", 56". Sammys seem more reliable than others from reading posts. :smashin:

8. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUT.............for a large screen of 50'', the pedestal sammy is by far the smallest tv measured by volume/mass, other 50'' screens; including the plasma are miles bigger....i noticed this today in currys........the 50'' Phillips plasma beside the sammy was miles bigger.........it has something like a 3'' silver border around the screen.....and most tv's seem to.

this makes them appear bloody huge :D........and the sony Wega looks like a London bus :D

the sammy pedestal is actually very slimline and elegant..it only looks like a 46'' screen.

the best PQ i saw was from the phillips 36'' crt......absolutely fantastic, but it was the size of a fridge freezer, it looked horrid....way too large for such a small screen.

so the sammy 50, or even better; the new 1080p sammy 56 will look fantastic at home, but so will the floating screen sammy 56''........so it's down to these two :D :D

lets just wait and see......no rush!

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    I twould apperae that Samsdung is the favoured make then. Are they generally stocked by the likes of Currys or Comet? Not that I'd want to shop there and I suppose they wouldnt be the best place for a demo either. So that narrows it down to an independent I guess . What say you? :)

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Just looked at Samsungs website and it appears to be a choice between Currys and Comet or House of Fraser if I'm prepared to travel a bit.
    The pedestal Samsung is all very well but where does one put all ones gear?

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You can buy an optional side stand that sits alonside the pedestal and houses all you AV equipment. Personally I don't like the pedestal because it's a bit too inflexible in terms of viewing height, at least with a standard model you can achieve the optimium height that suits you own decor by means of your own stand. The new SP46L6HX is apparently due in the next few weeks at currys which I'm looking forward to having a look.

12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Must admit dont think much of the stand

13. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Regarding the TV sizes:

I owned the Tosh 46WM48P for a little over 4 months.

I returned it and purchased the Sammy SP50L7 (pedestal) and i'm being deadly serious when i say this - my brain is convinced the Sammy is actually smaller than the Tosh was. Even though i know its a 50" screen as opposed to the 46" screen, it doesn't seem to help matters.

The PQ is totally fantastic, it really is - but the set is playing serious mind games with me - as i feel like i've downsized instead of upsized! :eek:

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The Tosh is a big beasty though. Funny enough the Sammy SP46L6HX is actually smaller and lighter than the 37" Panasonic PV500 plasma.

15. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yes when i looked at them in currys, i was convinced the sammy had a small screen too...and by quite a long way, but no; they're all the same size...its that silver ``picture frame`` border all the others have, it fools your eyes; an optical illusion.

the sammy screen melts away into its black border...you dont notice it

the sammy must look good at night, because your eyes will only see the screen and not a bright silver border :smashin:

the other sammy 56'' floating screen is designed like this too, its border is very narrow.........great :clap:

16. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Malso - Have you got a link to the 'floating screen' 56"? I don't think i've seen this model yet! :cool:

17. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  18. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's the HLR 5667W, my thread is now on page 2 here.take a look :D

19. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

The sammy looks superb at night, you're correct, your eyes just see the screen nothing else, no shiny borders. Have to agree that the 56 is looking excellent malso, both of them :D

20. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a reliability issue with my Toshiba 46" DLP set when the colours went out of sync.
    It was just a software fix however.

Unfortunately, competent technicians are not quite as readily available to deal with these newish technology TVs as say with CRTs so my set had to be shipped 40 miles to get it serviced. There was no cost involved to me, although I have been informed that warranty really only covers labour and parts, not shipping to and from a service centre. The store said that they did cover transportation as a service to their customers, but it's something to check when making a purchase.
    From what I can gather, DLP sets are reliable, but I have taken out extended warranty as a safeguard with Domestic and General ( dealing directly with D & G ) and they have advised that their insurance does cover transportation and also the projection lamp.

I sit about nine foot away from the screen and personally have found this to be fine for viewing good bit-rate material, but I do notice solarization on screen on even this size of screen, on darker scenes particularly from Sky. Hopefully this will disappear when HD programming becomes available. As it will be quite some time before high definition broadcasting becomes the norm, I wouldn't want to have a bigger screen.

It's true that the actually dimensions of the Toshiba set does make the screen seem bigger than certain other sets. The new Sagem 45, just an inch smaller looks quite a lot smaller in comparison.

I think the Toshiba set is excellent value compared with other makes, and its low lamp power option is great, as it will extend life and is still very bright. I still don't care for the motion blur effect on medium speed panning and tilting, but can live with it as it doesn't happen too often as a rule. In the main the picture is bright, very sharp and has respectable contrast. I'm not sure whether the set's replacement ( slated for September ) has the new dark chip, but if so that should squeeze out the last remaining amount of light on the ( very dark grey borders ) to absolute black.

Who knows what sets we will be watching in five years time, as other technologies come on stream, but for now I don't regret taking the DLP route.
    Thomas.

21. simate

simate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am seriously considering a Sammy SP50L6HX after having sent back a Panny lcd yesterday and had a demo of a Panny 37" plasma, I was appaled at the PQ.
    I was in Comet yesterday and saw the sammy DLP 7 version, I didn't like the stand lol. Anyway the SP50L6HX sounds like a good buy from what I've read on here.
    The 7 in Comet was only set up with an RF input though so PQ was horrible.

Can someone tell me in total honesty what the PQ is like with SKY SD, DVD via component and what the built in freeviw is like compared to a 3 year old £539 JVC CRT (which I currently own and is PQ perfect, no component of course, just scart RGB) as on the 2 Panny's on all inputs apart from HD in the shop looked terrible, the LCD which I sent back was ridiculous PQ wise on everything, I was horrfied lol.

Currys and Comet are the only place Samsungs site lists as stockists near me. I can check Currys out as I didn't have time to look in there.

Close up macro photos would be good too if at all possible.Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: I can only find a review on the SP46L6HX which made it sound awful too. I really don't know what to do, LCD's are out, Plasma is out, DLP doesn't sound promising. Looks like I might be sticking with my CRT for a few more years to come.