• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for a PVR

2badmice

Standard Member
Had to cancel TiVo due to my fiancee losing her job, so I'm in the market for a PVR and quite keen on a device that can offer me:

• All the catch up players for the 5 terrestrial channels
  • An ability to record channels 2, preferably 3
  • To be able to stream media from my NAS
  • To stream football.
  • HDMI connectivity
  • Wired or WiFi
I've seen this on eBay and it seems like it may offer what I want.

Others have told me to look at the Sumvision Cyclone, but I've only seen it in white and would prefer a black casing.

Or can you suggest anything else?

Set a budget of around £100-£150, but will go higher for the right device.

Orson

Prominent Member
I've moved the thread here to get a bit more exposure

petrev

Prominent Member
Had to cancel TiVo due to my fiancee losing her job, so I'm in the market for a PVR and quite keen on a device that can offer me:

• All the catch up players for the 5 terrestrial channels
  • An ability to record channels 2, preferably 3
  • To be able to stream media from my NAS
  • To stream football.
  • HDMI connectivity
  • Wired or WiFi
I've seen this on eBay and it seems like it may offer what I want.

Others have told me to look at the Sumvision Cyclone, but I've only seen it in white and would prefer a black casing.

Or can you suggest anything else?

Set a budget of around £100-£150, but will go higher for the right device.

Hi

The Home Theatre Media Centre XBMC OpenELEC - 1080p HD Raspberry PI Experience is not strictly a PVR. I would call it an XBMC Media Player/PC.

You can no doubt add a T2 tuner but all the TV stuff listed is streaming.

Doubt you could record 3 TV channels.

Don't know any T2 PVR that will directly record 3 channels - Humax HDR T2 [£160 A-Grade from Humax Direct] can if you use the Live Buffer for the 3rd channel and rewind when a recorder is Free and then convert to recording.

Only the YouView and (soon?) FreeSat+Freetime PVRs will show all 4 FTA Catch-Up services so far - Possible Samsung may be adding to its offerings at some point ??

Others may have more info of course . . .

Pete

Last edited:

MarkE19

I agree with what petrev has said. The R-Pi is not a PVR really, just a basic media player and almost certainly wont allow recording of 3 channels at a time. I am also unaware of any 3 tuner Freeview PVR's.

I think to do everything you want is going to require buying 2 (or more) boxes, a Freeview PVR and a media player.
The only PVR with all the catchup TV services is YouView and that does not offer any streaming from a NAS. Depending on what streaming features you want will depend on what streamer to recommend, but something like the WDTV Live SMP at around £75 is an excellent player.

Mark.

2badmice

Standard Member
Seems like for catch up, I am going to use my TV and or the 360 and continue to just use the 360 for streaming.

I didn't realise my expectation levels were too high for such a device and I will take a look at HD Freeview recorders.

With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for such a machine, do Samsung offer any at the moment?

MarkE19

I have no idea how good, bad or indifferent the Samsung PVR's are, but generally I suggest avoiding the big makes and go for a PVR from a dedicated PVR maker such as Humax. From past experience I have found the likes of Samsung wont support the software to a good level.

I have the Humax YouView PVR and I find it very good, especially with the catch-up services. But my main PVR is still my S1 TiVo bought back in October 2000 :eek:

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom