Looking for a projector with a small buget off £500?

simz

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I need some good avice, im looking for some advice on what projector to get with a buget off £500? i need to be able to buy it from the uk or out side the Uk with free shipping LOL.

I know £500 id not much for a projector but it is all i have right now.

Im new to this home cinema so go easy on me guys LOL

Cheers Mark

Hi guys.

I need some good avice, im looking for some advice on what projector to get with a buget off £500? i need to be able to buy it from the uk or out side the Uk with free shipping LOL.

I know £500 id not much for a projector but it is all i have right now.

Im new to this home cinema so go easy on me guys LOL

Cheers Mark

Have a look on eBay - you should pick up an second hand Panasonic or Sanyo. You might want to check out the cost of a new bulb – just in case.

Im in the same boat mate. Ive got about 3-400 squid to spend and im not sure whats gonna be best. Im really after one to use with my xbox 360 and obviously to use for movies etc.....

The BenQ W100 is the only one I've seen that I'd buy for under £500. Otherwise you'd be better to scrimp and save for the HD70.

I'd go with the w100 as well, my mate has just got one and its very impressive for the price plus the lamps rated for around 4000 hours and the pj has a three year guarantee.

well ive being looking all day to find some where that hs stock off the Benq W100, but ever where seems to be out off stock. Gutted:suicide:

I ordered the W100 from Technoworld yesterday (due to be delivered today) for £397 inc postage. It will replace a Panny AE100.

My Father just got the Infocus IN72 for £499 and is very impressed. It is big though. The specs between the two are very similar. The W100 has DVI where the IN72 has HDMI. The W100 also has two component inputs which will be useful.

Technoworld W100 (33 in stock)

Infocus IN72

Well things are not going good for me. i placed an order with savastore.com, but the projector was out off stock! so i cancelled the order, all with in the hour, but savastore had all ready took the money for the projector off my card, now to me that is wrong for a company to take the money off someones card when the goods are out off stock! even better tho savastore are trying to say that they have not took any money off my card for the projector even tho i can clearly see on online bank statement that they have took the money!

Thanks savastore!

I ordered the W100 from Technoworld yesterday (due to be delivered today) for £397 inc postage. It will replace a Panny AE100.

My Father just got the Infocus IN72 for £499 and is very impressed. It is big though. The specs between the two are very similar. The W100 has DVI where the IN72 has HDMI. The W100 also has two component inputs which will be useful.

When you get it, let us know what you think about the W100 in comparison to the IN72 will ya?

Anim

When you get it, let us know what you think about the W100 in comparison to the IN72 will ya?

Anim

I got it yesterday (came at 7.30pm) and I haven't got round to setting it up yet. I do know that the W100 has more brightnes than the IN72 (900 v 1300 lumens) and Contrast is also a bit higher (2000 x 2500). Otherwise, the specs are pretty similar.

The IN72 is huge though and would have been too big for my room. It has a long throw lens which would have been no good to me.

The BenQ is a little bit bigger than my Panny AE100 and the lens should be similar throw and zoom as well.

I have setup the W100 and one word came into my head within 20 seconds off puting the first DVD on. WOW!!!!

I tried scenes from Italian Job 2003, Fifth Element, Revenge of the Sith, Monsters Inc, House of Flying Daggers and Hero.

I have been very pleased with the Panasonic AE100 over the last couple of years and this W100 DLP makes it night and day in comparison.

If this is a first projector for someone then it is a cracking choice. The biggest difference was the colour. The picture looked almost 3D on occasion.

Unfortunately I only managed to take a single pic of it before the batteries ran out.

For Hi res pics of it look at this website.

http://www.bench-market.com/article.php?sid=11211

There is one downside which doesn't affect me but might someone else. The zoom is smaller than the AE100 and it is virtually non existent as there was not much adjustment possible.

As this was my first DLP I was a bit worried about the rainbow effect and saw none at all. However, my father who does see the RE saw it.

It has a 7 segment 4x wheel compared to 6 segment 4x for the IN72. I don't know how much difference this makes. My Father said what he saw was the same as his IN72. As the In72 is another £500, I consider the BenQ excellent value for money at the £400 I paid.

I am looking forward to watching Superman Returns on it soon.

is it possible to mount these projectors upside down from the celling?

is they a option in the menu to flip the screen?

cheers mark

I have setup the W100 and one word came into my head within 20 seconds off puting the first DVD on. WOW!!!!

I tried scenes from Italian Job 2003, Fifth Element, Revenge of the Sith, Monsters Inc, House of Flying Daggers and Hero.

I have been very pleased with the Panasonic AE100 over the last couple of years and this W100 DLP makes it night and day in comparison.

If this is a first projector for someone then it is a cracking choice. The biggest difference was the colour. The picture looked almost 3D on occasion.

Unfortunately I only managed to take a single pic of it before the batteries ran out.

For Hi res pics of it look at this website.

http://www.bench-market.com/article.php?sid=11211

There is one downside which doesn't affect me but might someone else. The zoom is smaller than the AE100 and it is virtually non existent as there was not much adjustment possible.

As this was my first DLP I was a bit worried about the rainbow effect and saw none at all. However, my father who does see the RE saw it.

It has a 7 segment 4x wheel compared to 6 segment 4x for the IN72. I don't know how much difference this makes. My Father said what he saw was the same as his IN72. As the In72 is another £500, I consider the BenQ excellent value for money at the £400 I paid.

I am looking forward to watching Superman Returns on it soon.

is it possible to mount these projectors upside down from the celling?

is they a option in the menu to flip the screen?

cheers mark

Yes. Be aware that there light leakage (like other PJ's) through the front and bottom. So, if you have it upside down, it will light up the ceiling.

This is a good review to read.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manufacturers/benq/W100/imagequality.asp

The BenQ W100 leaks a rather significant amount of light out the bottom. If you position it on a table this should probably be a non-event, as I had no problems with that light getting to the screen or "lighting up" the room, to the degradation of the picture quality.

If, however you choose to ceiling mount, and the projector is hanging down, I do suspect you will get a rather noticeable bright area about the projector. I would therefore suggest that you darken the area of the ceiling where your mount is, to minimize any potential problem. (The mount itself is never pretty, so cosmetically, this shouldn't be a real issue.

I will some pics later on. Revenge of the Sith looked the best out everything I tried so far.

Im looking at getting the w100 but im worried about possible rainbow effect with DLP projectors. Do you notice it at all?

My other option is the epson tw20 (lcd) but i think id be too close to the screen for that (seating only about 2m away with probable 70" diagonal).

Im looking at getting the w100 but im worried about possible rainbow effect with DLP projectors. Do you notice it at all?

My other option is the epson tw20 (lcd) but i think id be too close to the screen for that (seating only about 2m away with probable 70" diagonal).

I haven't seen any rainbows but My Father saw loads. I was pleased as this is my first DLP and was worried about rainbows. I haven't watched a whole film yet though. I did watch multiple DVD's for over an hour.

My projector is 9.5ft away from the screen. I sit next to the projector at about 9ft (2.7m) from the screen which is 80". A 70" screen at 2 metres might be a bit too big. I would try 60-65".

I have seen the Epson which would be a excellent first projector but it didn't seem much better than the Panasonic AE100 I already had. It does have much more brightness though. It does have a excellent offer of a free screen and 3 year lamp warranty until the end of December.

I have spent an hour or so comparing two DVD players (Sony NS900 on component interlaced and Sony NS585 progressive). I couldn't tell the difference. I synced two Kill Bills and switched between them.

I took this one picture as I had a similar picture already from my AE100 LCD. There is a lot of difference in the blacks and the yellow colour. I have the BenQ on eco mode which makes it a bit darker from normal mode. I haven' decided on whether to leave it on eco mode or not. I resized the DLP one to the same size for easier comparison.

I also noticed a lot more detail on Lucy Liu's clothing with the DLP. It has a good black and white comparison

Panny AE100 Kill Bill

BenQ W100 Kill Bill

BenQ W100 Lucy Liu Kill Bill

I have taken some screenshots of several DVD and zipped them up. I kept them hi res as a 5MB zip file on my site. I will leave it on there for long as possible.

I included some old photos from my Panny AE100 to compare them.

DVD's shown -

I, Robot, R2
Cars R2
Monsters Inc R2
POTC 2 R2
5th Element R1
Below R2
Matrix Reloaded R2
Kill Bill R2

www.apah20.dsl.pipex.com/pics/PJ.zip

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom