Looking for a projector with 3D

shailesh1

Standard Member
Hi,

The 3D function on my LG OLED has become faulty now and LG say even if they do repair it, the 3D function will be lost as they do not manufacture them anymore.

I would still like to be able to watch my 3D movie collection and was thinking of getting a projector. I really do not know too much about projectors, throw length, type of bulb, the amount of noise they make, type of screen etc.

From the wall where my sofas are to the wall where the TV and speakers are is 3.3m, but the TV does stick out from the wall about 20cms and the front speakers are quite close to the TV. From the edge of the left speaker to the edge of the right speaker is approximately 2m.

I have seen the following projectors, which are rated quite highly:

Epson EH-TW7000
Optoma UHD42
Optoma GT1090HDR

I was wondering if anyone could advise if these 3 are any good, or any alternatives? Looking to spend around £1K or less.

Thanks

alebonau

That’s not a lot of money and could lead to disappointment. Dlps which the optoma are ... you’d want to do quite bit of watching eg a few movies as you might realise suddenly that you are susceptible to rainbows these cheap dlp display. casual viewing might not highlight

Keep in mind a projector setup is quite demanding of room. They can certainly achieve excellent result in non dedicated rooms but still with efforts to control light.

Also depending on viewing a projector might not be ideal for every day viewing / tv etc. in which case why folks like me keep the tv (mine never could do 3D) and drop a projector screen in front and fire up the projector for larger screen experience, 3D beautiful 1080p 4K movies concerts sport etc

Also keep in mind the bigger the screen more obvious the flaws of not only source but also projector & screen setup

In projector in Epson range I wouldn’t go less than 7400. In screen (motorised) nothing less than grand view that are still budget affordable but pretty decent

Probably over budget but you don’t want to feel going backwards ...which some folks can easily do under investing and not looking at some basics with setup

shailesh1

Standard Member
Thank you for the reply.

I will keep the TV for most things and only really use the projector for 3D. So the screen will have to drop down in front of the TV. It is a normal room but we I can drop the blinds so the room can be dark, which is how I am expecting to watch the 3D movies.

Would the 7400 be good enough for what I am looking to achieve?

Also, is there a specific type of motorised screen that I should be looking at?

alebonau

I will keep the TV for most things and only really use the projector for 3D. So the screen will have to drop down in front of the TV. It is a normal room but we I can drop the blinds so the room can be dark, which is how I am expecting to watch the 3D movies.
it really depends on the blinds is it complete block out or is there leakage... its amazing when people think dark and then there DARK :D you need for projectors literally any stray light directly on the screen will kill the image.

it would be a shame to just use the projector for 3D only. you might be suprised if choose well and setup well how much you appreciate the projector for all larger screen viewing - movies, concerts, sport etc.

Would the 7400 be good enough for what I am looking to achieve?

its an excellent projector for the money. will need to factor in 3D glasses, I dont recall if they come with the projector or not. but affordable but good ones are available on amazon.

Also, is there a specific type of motorised screen that I should be looking at?
there is a lot of rubbish out there. ebay cheapies and like. spending what you are on a projector - i wouldn't scrimp on a screen. as mentioned i wouldn't consider anything less than a budget but quality brand like grandview.

need to select a screen based on viewing distance. you might be suprised just how much bigger can go :) and it will benefit 3D being all the more immersive that it literally puts you in the midst of things. TVs due to size could never do that and for good reason in that case 3D for them was dropped as always looked a bit fake and odd given its 3D but only of its little screen that couldn't be immersive.

shailesh1

Standard Member
Thanks again for the detailed reply.

You are right, even though I have black out blinds, they do leak light sadly.

Choosing well - is there another projector you would recommend in addition to the 7400?

I will look at the grandview screens. I will look at the throw calculator to see how big I can go with the screen. I would definitely like to go as big as I can as the whole family love to watch movies on large screens.

alebonau

Choosing well - is there another projector you would recommend in addition to the 7400?

sadly there is always better :D no I meant going for something like the 7400... and a decent yet affordable screen should yield some results pretty happy with :)

I will look at the grandview screens. I will look at the throw calculator to see how big I can go with the screen. I would definitely like to go as big as I can as the whole family love to watch movies on large screens.

with the throw calculator have a peep on projector central calculator. though they show you max luminance ie highest setting just make sure with size of screen you are not going too big that cant get enough luminance. you want 12-16 FL for dvd/blu-ray and 30FL for 4k uhd. 3D sits somewhere in between :) make sure in checking with throw and screen size you have plenty up the sleeve to allow for not running on highest lamp setting and nothing left as lamp ages :)

eg if your viewing distance is about 3m ... a comfortable screen size is 100" :) this is to thx spec for immersion...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom