Question Looking for a PCH A410 replacement

xeddog

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've had my A410 for quite a while now. It has been working just fine up until a power outage a couple of weeks ago and since then I have had several videos just stop playing at what seems like random points. Most of the time I can get around it, but sometimes not.

Anyway, I have been looking at quite a few boxes, and many of them would do just fine except for one thing, and for me it is a big thing. The list is long but includes things like the Amazon Fire, Roku 4, Nvidia SHIELD, Intel NUC, and a few others. They do not accept internal 3.5" hard drives. I have ripped a bunch of my movies to digital and keep them on a hard drive. I would like to have the drive be internal so I don't have to run another power cable and network/USB cable. Does anyone know of a box along the lines of the PCH that accepts an 3.5" internal disk (two would be even better)? It seems like the NUC would be ideal if it supported 3.5" drives.

Nothing special that most of these boxes don't already have. nsf/smb capability, ftp and telnet access, I don't think I will even need 4k capability so 1080p would be fine, although 4k would go a long way to future-proofing gigabit ethernet, I guess the ability to add an external USB disk or flash drive. Just the usual stuff.

Wayne

P.S. I already looked at the Mede8er line. Like you said, it seems like an older tech which makes me wonder why there isn't something more recent from them.

The mede8er X3 players still sell well so why upgrade something that works? Being older it has had the main issues ironed out so is now a stable platform, but still gets firmware updates so is well supported - which is more than can be said for most of the cheap Android boxes.
But of course being older does mean no 4K etc.

As you say there are not too many newer boxes that take an internal HDD, I guess most of them are now aimed more at internet streaming services such as Netflix or from a local NAS. But as long as they have a USB port they should be able to connect to an external HDD, and NFS/SMB support is common on a lot of players. Gigabit network ports are a nice to have for copying media but not required for HD streaming as 100mbps LAN can do this, Blu-ray are a max of around 50mbps
There is of course the Nvidia Shield Pro with an integrated 500Gb HDD, but not sure if this can be replaced if more storage was required.

Mark.

I realize that I could always add an external USB disk drive (or two, or three or . . .), but I was wanting to have a nice small, self-contained, energy efficient package. The location where I want to put his thing already uses about 10 electrical outlets and adding one more means daisy-chaining yet another power strip.

If anyone is still readying this, maybe you can answer this for me without me having to open a new thread. If you connect an external disk drive, does it sleep when the player it is attached to goes to sleep?

Wayne

Qnap nas with kodi built in? All in one.

Hmmm. The HiMedia Q10 4K3D looks interesting. But it also looks like this might not be the best time to be buying a player. The manufacturers still need to work on the 4k stuff. I don't really need 4k at the moment, but I don't want to shut that door either.

Thanks all,

Wayne

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom