Looking for a online co-op game

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by blizeH, Dec 26, 2006.

1. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    A few of us recently started playing World of Warcraft and mostly enjoyed it, however, I've played it in the past and realise how horribly addictive it can be, so this put me off. As a result we're looking for a new co-operative multiplayer game, one that:

* Can be played at fairly leisurely pace so that we can have a laugh over voice comms.
    * Isn't overly addictive and can easily be played just one or two nights a week
    * Isn't that new becuase none of us have particularly amazing PCs (although we all ran WoW in high detail without any problems afaik)

Thank you!

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Neverwinter nights is pretty good for that kind of thing. I used to play with a mate quite a bit.

If you want something a bit more up-to-date then you could look at Guild wars. More like a MMORPG, but not as in-depth.

Also, even look at playing Diablo II, I know it is really old now, but it is still great for co-op.

3. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Many thanks for the reply, I've already completed Guild Wars though and didn't enjoy it too much so I don't know whether I'd want to go back to it! :)

Diablo II/NWN look good actually, thanks! Will check them out.

Above all we're just after something that'll be fun and a good laugh to play! :)

4. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Bit far fetched in terms of co-op but you could soon try Freelancer that game is still highly played by myself its great.

5. jendo

jendo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If you like fps then planetside might fit your bill and can be played for free in a limited way.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Diablo II is really awesome, me and my brother still play it!!!!

It is pretty good fun co-op and you really can get quite carried away, especially if your partners decide to wander off looking for kewl loots just as you open a door to loads of badass monsters. The worst thing is when you just cleared a room and your buddy strolls in and picks up the unique that just dropped!!!! GRRRRR :)

7. Matt_UK

Matt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Depending when last played, Guildwars now has add-ons. There is now three in the sieres, Prophercies, Factions and Nightfall. All based around the same gameplay as Prophercy but with new missions, quests and charaters. I found it to be the best free online gaming.

Matt

8. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Yeah, my brothers and I did the first NWN over several months, 1-2 hours per weekend and also used voice comms as well. Great way to keep in touch with siblings that live in different countries

9. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119

You can also try several of the older RTS games like warcraft 3 (team play against the PC). I can vouch for freelancer being fun although a bit long winded in places :(. Stay away from the battlefield 2 type games unless you have lots of time on your hands.

10. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Why not try Everquest for a bit if you didn't play it before. Do a search and you will find you can download and play it for free up to level 10. So you could have some fun playing different races/classes. And at low level you won't have to worry about grouping with another else if you don't want to.

Another game that I was in beta for was Archlord it's not done so well with all the competition out there, but you can pick it up for around £10 now and they have stopped the monthly charges, so you don't have to feel you have to play because you are paying. I got to around level 30 and was able to do most of the quests on my own, so two of you should be ok. It does have PvP so you have to watch out for people deciding to attack you, but there wasn't too much of that in beta, just the few annoying people. It's not as wow as WoW, but I enjoyed it and the quest were fun enough. I just didn't carry on at the time as I didn't want to have to play monthly for it and now I've been playing other things to give it a look again.

Was playing Oblivion and now I'm playing NWN2 a second time as I wanted to try a different class. And have Guildwars Nightfall waiting for me when I finish.

Oh and the person who mention Planetside, good choice if you want something futuristic and a FPS with lots of people. I had a lot of fun playing that. And having two people working together to watch each other backs is handy. And all the option you can decide on for what type of character you want to be was great as well.

11. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I love freelancer, spent countless hours on it and stll go back from timt to time.

Great Game

12. samat2001

samat2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Counterstrike is a class-A co-op game. Also try out Starsiege Tribes (can download it for free, legally)

13. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    BF2142 is a fantastic game where you must play as a team/squad to get the most out of it, lots to do

14. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    A lot of HL2 mods are comeing out and i still after 6 years or so really enjoy Day of Defeat for an online challenge with friends.