Looking for a new PVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Parce911, Aug 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Parce911

Parce911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a Technika 23-231BR and I have always had poor reception. It appears that this is the TV tuner's fault, as when I plug in a Philips top box, I get perfect reception.

Anyway, I am therefore looking for either a new TV or a PVR, but I am leaning towards a PVR. The USB record function is extremely useful, however, I could record to a HDD, as long as there was the option of transferring them to my PC via USB or some other method. On the same topic, I wouldn't mind being able to record freeview HD, but I understand that there is difficulty transferring these recordings due to encryption. The ability to move these recordings and keep them elsewhere (and watch them on other devices) isn't a neccessity, however, it would be useful if I wanted to save something. I would like to be able to move the SD recordings and watch them on other devices though.

I have already looked at the Humax HDR FOX-T2 and quite like it, however, unless I have misunderstood the information in Black Hole's sig, it looks like there may be encryption issues with the HD recordings on the standard firmware. The TV portal looks good to me, but again, this is not something I require.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice about this.

2. MartinOnline

MartinOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    High Definition recordings have to be protected against copying and use on non-compliant products. Thus, as I believe, most PVRs encrypt their recordings. For some machines, those recordings can be output via a SCART connection to a DVD Recorder but any HD recordings are reduced in quality to Standard Definition level and, of course, there are conversion losses.

For the Humax Fox-T2 with the standard software you can copy SD recordings to an external Hard Drive for transfer in ".ts" format - to be converted to another format as necessary. You can also stream SD recordings to a DLNA-compliant media player. There are ways to fool the Humax that its HD recordings are to be decrypted on copying. However, the Custom Software has the best solutions for file transfers. See Black Hole's Tome: Things Every HD-FOX T2/HDR-FOX T2 Owner Should Know | hummy.tv | a discussion forum and help reference for owners of Humax AV equipment

Martin