Looking for a new projector

Idan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know it's probably one of the tritest questions you guys are getting here, but I'd still appreciate it if you could spare me some of your time and knowledge.

My trusty Epson Powerlite 8100 (EH-TW3200 in europe) has stopped working, and it looks like the cost of fixing it would be too steep. So I'm looking for a replacement.

Our current setup has the projector placed 3.3m from a 92" screen, and requires a copious amount of lens shift, as the projector is mounted almost opposite the left edge of the screen.

The reason we bought the 8100 in the first place is that it was an entry-level projector with lens shift and great zoom capabilities, but it looks like Epson's latest line's entry-level models lacks these features.

So, I came here for help. I'm looking an entry-level, full HD home cinema projector, with lens shift. 3D is not necessary, but a nice option to have.
I live in London, but if needed I could have someone bring a projector over from the US.
What are my options?

Many thanks,
Idan

Nothing specific in mind, unfortunately. Since this isn't a planned purchase, I didn't budget for it in advance.
I guess that up to around 800-900£ would be reasonable.

You will probably struggle with all those requirements at that budget, lens shift below £900 is pretty rare, also epsons have a lot of zoom, more than most. You may have to look for a used one to satisfy your budget :/

Hmph. That's what I was afraid of.

If lens shift is not mandatory, what would be a recommended projector for this price range?

Just got myself a BenQ W1070. I took all things into consideration (Price/Functionality/Availability) and it seemed like the best for me. At £599 for the Projector with a pair of 3D specs and a 5 year Warranty with Richer Sounds seemed a no-brainer. If your projector is 3.3m from the screen, it shows via the Throw Calculator that you could push out a 99" diagonal image. Although if you've got the screen already, you could move the projector slightly loser than you currently do. The W1070 has vertical Lens Shift as well, but not much, although this is a good feature for such a cheap PJ.

Just got myself a BenQ W1070. I took all things into consideration (Price/Functionality/Availability) and it seemed like the best for me. At £599 for the Projector with a pair of 3D specs and a 5 year Warranty with Richer Sounds seemed a no-brainer. If your projector is 3.3m from the screen, it shows via the Throw Calculator that you could push out a 99" diagonal image. Although if you've got the screen already, you could move the projector slightly loser than you currently do. The W1070 has vertical Lens Shift as well, but not much, although this is a good feature for such a cheap PJ.

Thanks, Davygee.

Luckily, richer Sounds have some open box projectors in stock (Optoma HD25e, BenQ1300, and maybe some more), that I can try at home and then return for a full refund.

that way I can see if I really need to go up to the higher end models, or make do with something more entry level.

I would be careful with the and lens shift on the BenQ models as the new units I tried pivoted the lens thus pushed the focus out. Not sure if this has been sorted, but it is one thing that I would look out for before making any purchase.

It was one area where that I told them they needed to improvement there projectors.

Optoma, due to the fixed lens does not suffer with any issues.

Regards, Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom