1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a new projector and very confused

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tallica, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Tallica

Tallica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alrighty, I have tried researching the web about projectors, but it really isnt answering the questions I need answered. And hopefully you guys are cool and will read this entire long boring story :p

I am in the US, and I have a projector here in my room, My dad brought it home from work and I have loved it, but I now want my own.

It is a Sharp Liquid Crystal projector XG-E1200U from the year 1998. Its about the weight of a full size computer tower and is the size of 3 briefcases, haha.

It servers me great, I have it sitting on a wooden chest, a foot of the ground, and is projecting about a 8ft (2.6m) screen with a throw dist of about 12ft.(4m) on a white painted wall, no professional screen.

I use it for DVDs only (Wanted to use for gaming, but more on that in a second)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But there are some things that I dislike about it:

1.)Its sheer weight and size
    2.) XBOX games look blurry
    3.)you can always see these interlaced lines every where if you look (like teeny tiny little black squares everywhere, which i assume are the pixels
    4.)its quite loud (fans, about the dB of a soft conversation)
    5.)NO TV input (NTSC)

I am looking for a projector at a MAX cost of $2000USD (~1,100 pounds)

I know DLP is better than LCD, so DLP is the way to go.
    TV INPUT IS A MUST! (NTSC)
    480p, maybe even 720p? :p (AT LEAST 480p for the new XBOX 360 :D)
    a "silent fan mode" for movies would be nice
    none of those little pixel lines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if you already know a projector that you think would be perfect , PLEASE TELL ME!!! lol

But I do at least have some questions that I would like answered if you cant think of a good projector off the top of the head, this will help me research:

How many ANSI Lumens do I need? (small bed room [5mx7m] with 2 windows, slight ambient light coming through the cracks

What contrast resolution do i need? (heard 2000:1 is best)

I just wanna thank you guys first off for just reading this haha. ANY comments would be greatly apprciated!

Thanks in advance!

-David

EDIT: Here is a link to the projector i already have

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sharp_XG_Series-XG-E1200U.htm

2. Tallica

Tallica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You'll probably want to find a US AV forum and ask them the same question -projector specs and prices all vary between the UK and US, but I'll do my best to help.

The BenQ PE5120 isn't a bad PJ, but it will only do a maximum of 480p. When the Xbox 360 arrives, it'll do 720p on ALL games, which the BenQ will have to downscale to it's lower 852 x 480 resolution.

I'm not too sure on US prices, but I'd suggest the following HD compatible LCDs for around £1000 (around $1800);

- Sanyo PLV-Z3 (most people just call it the Z3)
    - Panasonic AE700U
    - Hitachi PJ-TX100

I've just ordered the Sanyo Z3, which I'll be using for Sky, DVDs and consoles.
    LCDs provide more resolution for the same money as DLPs, which is important for the next-gen consoles. I've not used DLP, so I'm not sure if I'll suffer from the rainbow effect - best not to risk it without a demo!

Check this ProjectorCentral link for a comparison of the most popular budget home cinema PJs;
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-projectors.htm

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    In most respects, but some suffer from the Rainbow Effect which can affect how you see the image, so you really should get a demo. I would think whatever you decide on will be a huge improvement over what you have right now though. :)

Most have a composite or s-video connection so you should be OK for that. The quality of the projectors own image processing has an impact on how good these sources look though. I would think anything you get would be a marked improvement on what you have now though. :)

Many projectors are less than 30dbs, so look for the numbers as a rough guide (I'm sure they don't all measure them in the same way).

The picture structure is resolution and technology dependant - the same resolution DLP will have less structure than the same resolution LCD. It is also an artefact of seating distance - sit too close and you will see the pixel structure. I'm sure you've probably already noticed that though.

The new Benq 7700 is a little above your price range but would be an improvement all round I would think (provided you don't see rainbows). If 1280 x 720 isn't affordable, then 1024 x 576 might be your best bet for a resolution improvement. 854 x 480 is barely an improvement to what you currently have, but the pixel structure is tighter on a DLP so you would still see an improvement there.

If you don't have perfect light control, then a brighter pj will be better than one with less lumens. Advertised figures are often 40% higher than reaility when the image is optimised for video (which is normaly how we buy them). Lumens and image brightness are relative to screen size, and to some extent, personal preference - do you want cinema levels of brightness or plasma levels? Too bright an image wil enhance digital artefacts as well as mpg artefacts, so there are some compromises involved. Grey screens with some gain work well with ambient light though. Infocus make pjs with a bit more brightness than others, so they might be worth a look. The Benq is pretty good, but quite low resolution. The Optoma H31/H30a gets great reviews and provides a great picture as well for the same res.

The more the better - it's what dictates how much detail we see in certain aspects of the image (such as shadow detail), so the higher the number, the better. Advertised figures are often 40% more then video optomised reality, so the higher the advertised figure the higher the real figure is likely to be. Anything over 1000:1 in reality is a good start though. It can also have a bearing on how black the image will look (partly moot without a blacked out rioom though). Whatever you get will be a huge improvement for you though.

So, you want to project an 8ft wide image from around 12ft away - is this projection distance fixed or can you have the pj situated a bit further forward or backward from that? the throw distances do vary a bit from projector to projector, so it might make a difference in suitability of some projectors over others.

Gary.

5. Tallica

Tallica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys rock!

The projector placement is NOT fixed, I just have it where it is because any further back and it looks pretty bad. Hopefully this new projector will be able to be moved back fouter and still look good. :p

A wee too expensive :D $3000 msrp and about $2400 cheapest on the market

So it looks like I need to shoot for 720p minimum, so the XBOX360 doesnt have to compress any lines of feed.

On that note, the inputs for my projector and most projectors is RCA (ya know, yellow for video, red and white for sound [video games]) and s-video ( what i use to connect to PC and play DVDs through)

Now my question is, how do you connect a TV input? (dunno for UK, but in the US it looks like a hollow screw with a needle in the centre of the end of the wire) do I have to buy an HDTV tuner? is there some adapter?

Thanks guys! I have learned more in one day here than a few days researching!

David

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    720 would be ideal, but even 1024 x 576 does a good job with Hi Def stuff compared to NTSC standard definition, so that might be a good compromise if DLP is what you decide you want but can't afford 720. Otherwise LCD is your only choice as 720 is a lot cheaper.

Not sure what connection you're describing - sure it's not an RCA composite connector? Got a link to a pic?

HDTV needs DVI or HDMI I believe (or component, but I don't think encrypted content will work over it), and new projectors will have some or all of those. Standard definition should be fine though provided the connections are available.

Gary.

7. Tallica

Tallica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    Going for a demo? :)

Gary.

9. Tallica

Tallica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    demo?

not up to the lingo i see lol

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    Demo = Demonstration (of the 700) if that's what you meant. :)

Gary.