Looking for a new ISP

Looking for a new fibre unlimited provider.
No caps or traffic management
Totally unlimited
Speeds 40-80 thinks that's what's only available discarding virgin.
Had sky fibre tbh was rock solid but no offers about

Currently with virgin paying for 200mbs but getting no way near. Had a letter of price increase but it says I can leave penalty free (fingers crossed)

Living in Sheffield S5 area

Think the only 2 left is Plusnet and BT (Not impressed with 18 month contracts way to long)

So looking for another fibre provider any help is appreciated in advance.

Thank you

RajP

Distinguished Member
Looking for a new fibre unlimited provider.
No caps or traffic management
Totally unlimited
Speeds 40-80 thinks that's what's only available discarding virgin.
Had sky fibre tbh was rock solid but no offers about

Currently with virgin paying for 200mbs but getting no way near. Had a letter of price increase but it says I can leave penalty free (fingers crossed)

Living in Sheffield S5 area

Think the only 2 left is Plusnet and BT (Not impressed with 18 month contracts way to long)

So looking for another fibre provider any help is appreciated in advance.

Thank you
Isn't PlusNet owned by BT anyways?? And Yes they are only doing 18 month contract where as BT are doing 12 month as far as I know..

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Not sure about the ones with data allowance but the unlimited packages don't traffic manage at all and are truly unlimited.

They do, however it's called contention ratio.

Every provider manages speeds across the board when it comes to DSL/FTTC. Only leased lines are unmanaged.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
They do, however it's called contention ratio.

Every provider manages speeds across the board when it comes to DSL/FTTC. Only leased lines are unmanaged.

True but that isn't the same at all and shouldn't be noticeable if implemented properly. BT don't throttle your speed after download X amount of data like some providers which I assume is what the poster was enquiring about.

I can max out my connection anytime of the day.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Not true, sorry.

Your maxing out your contended ratio, that's true - but if your on. 50:1 80:1 pipe then your I my going to get that ratio in speed allowed by the ISP.

I can give my customer a 80/20. FTTC & I can put him on a 50:1 contended line or a 5:1 contended line.

Throttling is different, user A may download 5TB a month whilst user B downloaded a few mb. Balance is the key to buying transit & dishing it out to the end users.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
It was late lol

Basically pay more, get more.

ISP's I'd use would be;

Rural
Zen
Talk Talk.

Forget the rest, heavily congested/contended networks.

But the ones mentioned are not available to everyone apart from maybe talk talk and we know how dandy that outfit is

bubs999

Also looking at a new supplier, currently with BT and can varying speeds of 20 - 30mb but they have been unreliable since day one, constant connection drops and always blame my equipment, even though, it's their home hub 5 that is flashing orange.

I'm in the RH2 area and so far, can only see BT, SKY, Plusnet and Talk Talk.

BT say my line is capable of up to 76mb

Any recommendations? The review sites pretty much slate everyone!

I managed to get Sky Unlimited Fibre 40MB for £17.40 for 12 months with a one off fee of £26.95 which was router delivery and phone line transfer.

Thought it was quite good considering I am paying talk talk £17.70 for standard broadband and receive only 4Mb.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom