Looking for a new DVD Player...

Simon6776

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new DVD Player, and wondered if you had any personal recommendations? Apart from needing great PQ and sound, the criteria is as follows:-

• Multi-Region + RCE Compatible (yeah, I know that's just the mod, but I understand there are varying qualities of mods, so maybe this would be down to the retailer?)
  • Twin Scart Sockets with RGB Loopthrough
  • SACD and DVD-A Compatible
  • DVD-R/RW Compatible
  • Onboard DTS
  • Good CD Sound Quality
  • Colour: Black

cheers.gif

Linn Unidisk 1.1

Linn Unidisk 2.1

Linn Unidisk SC

How much are you thinking of spending?

Primare DVD30, Pioneer 868/757 & Denon 2900.

All between £750 - £1500

DT

dynamic turtle said:
Primare DVD30, Pioneer 868/757 & Denon 2900.

All between £750 - £1500

DT
Ouch! I was hoping for something around the £350 mark. I have a Pioneer DV-656A at the moment, which does all those tricks, and it cost me £399 last year. I was also looking at the Sony DVP-NS930V, which does everything except DVD-A. That might not be a problem as I usually play the DTS soundtrack on DVD-As anyway, as I think it sounds better. Does anyone have a Sony DVP-NS930V?

Simon6776 said:
Ouch! I was hoping for something around the £350 mark. I have a Pioneer DV-656A at the moment, which does all those tricks.
So why are you looking for a replacement?????

The 656 is about as good as it gets under £300.
You might be able to get a 757ai 2nd hand for under £400 on eBay. Not much of an upgrade over your 656 though.

DT

Suppose not. I just like a change now and then, so I've been looking at what's around. One thing I don't like about the 656, and I don't know if it's the machine itself, or the multi-region mod, is that when playing NTSC discs, which the majority of mine are, the picture shifts a good inch and a half, maybe two inches to the left, which is quite noticable, as the DVD menus are sometimes quite obviously off centre. It maybe a bit anal, but things like that, I find irritating. I also have found that the top of the picture, particularly with a skyline, is often over bright, to the point of blooming. I have adjusted the contrast on the player, which has helped, but I didn't have the issue with my old Sony S525D. If I adjust the contrast on the TV, it makes everything else dull, and I don't get the blooming effect when watching normal digital TV pictures, which are as near perfect as I can get. My TV, by the way, is a Panny 32", and I think it's a PK1, but can't remember the exact model number.

Panasonic TV's are well known for their compatability problems with Pioneer DVD players. Just type in "pioneer dvd panasonic" into the search box and look at the threads! This is only an issue if you are using RGB Scart though. Component & s-video work fine.

NTSC-shift/skew is quite normal. I can't explain why it happens though! It can be improved slightly by adjusting your settings in the service menu. Beware though, you can royally fudge-up your tv if you don't know what you're doing.

Some tv's come with "RGB-Shift" where you can move the image left or right by a few centimetres. My Sony has it and its a very useful feature indeed, especially for NTSC video games.

DT

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom