1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a new cd player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by esoxcrazy, Jun 24, 2004.

1. esoxcrazy

esoxcrazy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the minute I listen to my music through a dvd player Toshiba 210eb with a Sony str-db 1080 amp, and AE evo speakers. Is it worth me spending about £250 on a dedicated cd player?

Will the sound improve?

Any suggestions would be grateful.

I have seen the Sony SCD-XB790 anyone know if its any good?
    Thanks

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Yes it is worth getting a cd player for £250 look at nad or ex dem arcam machines.
    Ps your not a pike fisherman by any chance your esox crazy. :D
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the Cambridge Audio 540D, yes D, that's not a misprint. In another thread in this forum I describe my lengthy auditioning of the 540D vs 540C and why I chose the D. Even if you prefer the C, both are worth looking into at your price point, I believe (I'm not too sure what you pay in the UK for Cambridge Audio gear, but I seem to remember reading the 540s are in your target price.) Perhaps even the 640C is affordable to you--it wasn't for me, so I didn't give it a listen.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136156

4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    I'd have a look at the Cambridge 540C, 640C or the two NAD units (542 and C521BEE). I use the C542 with the Acoustic Energy Evo 3's myself, and am extremely happy with the results. I do second what Ovation mentioned earlier about the 540D being a good CD player, but I would say if you can listen to them all, do it and make your own mind up!
    Markie Boy

5. esoxcrazy

esoxcrazy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes i am a pike fisherman, well done. :smashin:

Thanks for the imput i'll see if I can make my mind up on these suggestions.

6. Alex47

Alex47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read the other recent thread about DACs, you may well be better off with a dedicated outboard DAC - saves you place, money, and you won't need this horrible thing - yet another remote! And, I guess a £250 DAC with your DVD will sound better than a basic £250. There are a lot of used DACs on sale which you can buy really cheap. And unlike CDPs they have no laser nor any moving parts, so they are a relatively safe buy. For your money I would look for a used Musical Fidelity X-DAC - a great liittle funky can sounding waaaay better than any entry level player.

7. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Get the Azur 640c - its absolutely lovely with cds, well worth the upgrade!

8. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently picked up a Cambridge Audio D100 CD player 2nd hand for just £24, to go with my new Azur 540R amp. It's a definite improvement over my Pioneer DV565 for CDs, so I think I got a real bargain. But it's made me wonder how good the new 540C/640C players would be, are they a big step up again over the older D series?

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Also worth thinking about is the Limit800SE and 900SE both tuned by Cyrus for musical ability. They are about £150 and £200 respectivly from :
    www.limitelectronics.com
    I had a Nad 541i and sold it when i got the limit because it was as good and it plays DVD's :D The 900 also has the highly respected Zoran 5 chipset in it so it has great picture quality, NTSC and Pal progressive scan and plays DVD-A:smashin: What more do you want??

10. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Another happy NAD C521BEE user here - great value for money and well worth an audition at least!

11. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I'd buy an M-Audio SuperDAC 2496, add a few mods and for around £250 you'll have a DAC than can take on the big boys.

Alternatively, I'd be looking at the second hand market for the best bang for your buck. Second hand Rotel or Arcam players are probably worth a look.

12. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering about the sony multi-cd player that holds 300 discs. Are they any good? I mean soundwise obviously, but also is there a danger the discs will get warm and warp or anything like that being stored inside? How quick and silent are disc changes?