Looking for a new case for my gaming PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by drinkturps, Aug 25, 2012.

1. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I cannot remember. Where am I? This kebab is cold.
    Ratings:
    +778
    Hi there, I thought I'd get a better response here as you are already PC Gamers and most probably have a gaming case. :)

I'm after a new PC case to house my ATX motherboard. Looking for a fan in the top of the case in addition to the usual front and back.

My current case is about 8 years old and my components are cooking due to poor airflow as it has the PSU at the top of the case that is heating up my all-in-one watercooling unit.

What would you recommend? I've had a look at the Coolermaster CM690II and the Zalman Z9 but struggling to make my mind up.

Budgetwise I've got about £80-90 to spend. It does not have to be superflash just reasonably quiet and able to fit in 4 HDDs with a Nvidia GTX460 GPU.

Many thanks

2. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    The Coolermaster cases are very well built, I've been considering the white one but funds haven't allowed a change yet. I've also considered moving to microATX and getting one of those really smart white bitfenix cases they just released.

3. Hooligaani

Hooligaani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +956
  4. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Cases are a very personal thing, do you like sleek cases with no/not many lights, do you like white cases or do you like lots of leds and mesh and stuff and something that looks like it's been designed by a 12 year old... (each to their own :laugh:)

Once we know what your taste is you'll get some decent recommendations, no good suggesting a fractal define when you want something like a coolermaster HAF :D

5. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +778
    Hmmm, interesting point. I could not care less about LEDs, flashy lights and go faster stripes. It's going to sit on the floor next to me so it does not need to be a looker. Would prefer a black a case over a white one if only to make it less likely to need a clean!

I'm looking for improved airflow, reasonably quiet with adequate cable management that is able to keep my water cooled CPU happy in the £80-90 bracket.

6. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Ok, bitfenix shinobi, fractal arc midi, corsair carbide 500r (500r is a very nice case).

if you want something with sound deadening panels etc then look at the fractal R4 (or R3 if you're impatient) :smashin:

7. MGRayd

MGRayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Agree the Carbide 500r is great!! I have one and love it!!

8. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +778
    Oooohhh! Thanks peeps so far!! :clap:

I'm narrowing it down. :smashin:

At the moment the Carbide 500r is looking pretty damn good and I also like the look of the Antec and Coolermaster 690II. I know it sounds silly but the little depression on the top of the Carbide case would fit my little smartphone when I'm charging it too!

My water cooler is also a Corsair so I'm guessing it will be breeze to fit it to the top fan outlet.

Hmmmmmmmm

9. MGRayd

MGRayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    It is I have a H100 in the top of case it was designed for it!

10. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Got a silverstone raven rv01 I'm looking to shift, it's a great case but too big for my needs. Awesome case, look it up and look at the details because it's a revolutionary case in every sense of the word! I was after about £90 plus shipping but if you're interested I can open a thread and we can discuss it properly :)

11. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    I use an Antec 300 with an ATX form factor mobo, 4 hdds, 2 optical drives and 2 GTX 460's (one by gigabyte OC edition and one by palit sonic edition)

It's a mini tower case and about half your budget-ish.

It can be a bit of a squeeze, but once everything's in there it's nice and cool and I'd never look back to the sheap crap I used to buy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's the coolest case I have ever had and does me well. So I'll put a very biased thumbs up for antec stuff :)

tris

edit:
    room for another 2 hdd's and one optical drive btw, and room for 3 more 120mm fans, two in front one on the side. Cheaper than when I got bought mine too :)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/143854-antec-...ium=products&gclid=CNm20e21g7ICFYYNfAodDg0Apg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  12. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +778
    Everyone, thanks for your assistance. I opted for the Corsair Carbide 500R mainly because it is more Corsair water cooler friendly than the others. (and err, *cough cough* nothing to do with the built in mobile phone holder I'm not that shallow honest!)

Really appreciate the input and offers, that's what I love about these forums. If I was on a tighter budget the Antec could well have been a winner. I've not had a decent case before so I've splashed out a little bit extra for the cable tidying gravy.

Once I've got it all fitted up (could be a week or two) I'll post an update.

Again thanks to you all.