Quantcast

Looking for a new bike, help?

Venomx999

Can't find the bike thread so posted here...

I have a mint condition carerra but its way too heavy and want something lighter and quicker

I popped into decathlon today and found this excellent looking bike for £500

According to the reviews the only downside is that the inner tubes are aparrently difficult to replace should you get a puncture although I suppose I could just take it down to Halford is that happens

So where should I start and what should I look for when I want a light quick road bike with standard handlebars and no suspension?

Thanks

reiteration

not sure of specific models, but evans are a decent shop, and you can sometimes get some good bargains on last years models and ex-display bikes..

also known as hybrid bikes..

DroidSkin

Distinguished Member
Been a few years since I was up on the new bikes out but the Triban range have always been well regarded for the price. If the tyres are difficult to get off to repair a puncture, just pick up a set of tyre levers. Makes the job simple. £1.99 for a set in Decathlon.

Venomx999

OK dude thanks

Does anyone know at decathlon can you ride the bike away same day or do you have to wait for it to be put together?

gavinl1967

Bikes around £500 will be much of a muchness is terms of spec. I wouldn't worry too much about the components on the bike at that price, but at how good the frame is, becasue you can always upgrade the components. Something like a low end Specialized Allez or Trek Domane are very upgradeable. Boardmans generally get very good write ups also. One thing I would say is, don't buy unless you have actually sat on the bike and are happy with the size/geometry, sizes differ between manufacturers. Also check out your local bike shop, they may have a bargain sitting in the back shop!

Venomx999

Thanks! I've reserved it so I'll check it out properly when I go back to decathlon
They had it in medium and large so I opted for large as I'm about 6 foot

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
OK dude thanks

Does anyone know at decathlon can you ride the bike away same day or do you have to wait for it to be put together?
When i bought mine a few years ago they had loads ready made in the various sizes. They will set it up for you (saddle height etc.) and you should be able to ride away :smashin: Depends on the size of your store potentially though

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Can't find the bike thread

Venomx999

BTW where’s the best place to flog my old carerra ? It’s mint condition and want to cut my losses

Kailash

BTW where’s the best place to flog my old carerra ? It’s mint condition and want to cut my losses
gumtree is good,
a local facebook marketplace might be useful
do you have nextdoor.co.uk in your area? you can sell stuff locally on there
ebay for a wider audience but you'll want to select collection only

Kailash

Got my new btwin well happy with it it's rapid

As its a road/hybrid is it fine to ride on the pavement and the road?
i'd avoid pavements unless you need to, would be fine on them though
probably be ok on light gravel tracks too with the thicker tires they normally have

Venomx999

Thanks dude
Is "slime" any good for preventing punctures?

Kailash

Thanks dude
never heard of it
i carry a spare inner tube around in the saddle bag
and a micro pump on the down tube.
tyres are easy to get off with some tyre leavers but some can be horrendous to get on if you don't use the right technique. i've found you need to roll the tyre on with the palm of your hands, and keep taking up the slack. i broke a few tyre leavers before i found that out :p
failing all that phone someone and get picked up hehe

Venomx999

Slime is a sealant you put into the innertube via the valve however you need to have a removable core in the valve for it to work and I don't know whether road bike have these

My current tyres are " resist protect plus" by btwin which are supposed to be good for preventing punctures

Last edited:

DroidSkin

Distinguished Member
Thanks dude
Slime doesn’t prevent punctures, it just seals the hole when you get one. I’d avoid it like the plague if I were you. It can make an awful mess of your tyres, more aggro than it’s worth.

best tyres for puncture protection are Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I used to use those on my commuting bike and never had to fix a puncture despite riding through some terrible stuff.

Venomx999

Thanks mate

The tyres need to be pumped up to about 8 bar maximum however most foot pumps only go upto 7 bar, any advice?

nick67

Thanks mate

The tyres need to be pumped up to about 8 bar maximum however most foot pumps only go upto 7 bar, any advice?
Get yourself one of these

As has been said avoid Slime, I carry 2/3 spare inner tubes and gas pump and catridges, inner tubes are so cheap not worth repairing

Venomx999

Thanks nick

Min is 6 bar, max is 8 bar.
So would 7 be ideal?

nick67

The higher the bar/psi, the faster it will roll, however it will be more susceptible to punctures and have a firmer ride, it also depends on your weight.

Mine can run at 123psi circa 8.5, but I run at 100psi circa 7

Trial and error, at full pressure mine was rock hard, doesn't help that it's full carbon with 50mm deep carbon rims
141E1DE2-5C1C-469C-A31B-D208F4E9CD54.jpeg

Venomx999

Track pump is on its way, thanks guys :thumbsup:

i've now noticed a slight ticking sound once during each full pedal, so i took the bike home, put it upside down and spun the wheel and the disk brake or the part it passes through is making a slight rubbing sound at one part of the disk.

Any ideas ?

Venomx999

Fixed it.
The brake disk was slightly scratching the clamp so I loosened the quick release, re aligned the tyre and pulled the disk slightly away from where it was rubbing now fingers crossed its fine