looking for a new amp

thelostone

Ok guys i have upgradeits:D and i need a new amp to go with my monitor audio radius floor standers.I rang sevenoaks and they said stick with an onkyo or pioneer,what i would like to know is are they right or are there other options that would be as good.I have seen a yamaha rx-v367 for £134.99 brand new and a onkyo tx-sr605 for £130 (second hand) what do you guys thing i did ask about sonys but they didnt seem to like them much

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What amp do you have at the moment?
The Yamaha 367 is a bottom of the range reciever that does not decode HD audio. Also the speakers you have really deserve a better amp to get the most from them.
Monitor Audio speakers are generally regarded as bright sounding so may not pair well with a bright reciever like Onkyo/Pioneer. However, if you have one of these recievers already then you may well prefer a brighter sound (we are all different) hence staying with the same brand may well be better.
The 605 is quite a few years old now and also has a known weakness within the HDMI board which can suddenly fail. Hence I would not recommend getting one. The 6 series Onkyo though is more of the level of reciever you would want to get the best from your speakers.

thelostone

At the moment i have a cambridge audio 340r it was all i could find to fit under my tv at the time.Now i have changed the tv i have more room

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Although the 340 was the budget CA amp I feel it is/was probably better than the bottom of the range Yamaha/Onkyo etc. This is because CA are known to punch above their weight in terms of performance. CA amps are relatively neutral so I would take care going to an Onkyo/Pioneer with your speakers and would definately try to demo the combination first just to make sure they sound OK to you. I would instead look at the Yamaha 667 or Denon 1911.

thelostone

Thanks for the advice, you are the second person to recommend the Denon, I have my eye on a Denon 1311 that any good? i will have a look at the yamaha.Out of the 3, is there one that you would recommend over the others?Thanks for the help:smashin:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?
The 1311 is again a bottom of the range model from Denon so will be missing features seen on the higher models. I would look at the 1611 as a minimum but since the 1911 could be bought for £200 recently then this would be my pick.
To maintain your current sound quality you do need to be looking at models higher up than the budget level recievers you mention.

thelostone

I was looking to spend about £200 poss more when i sell my CA, which i no is not alot for an amp but the mrs is giving me greif about that,were did you find the dennon for that price?I did find the yamaha rxv567ti for £189 dont know if that is any good.Having read these forums and others, alot of people have said i would get more for my money second hand,thats why i mentioned the onkyo it dose come with 12 months warranty not bad i thought, but to be honest for me at least it is a bit of a mine field out there.This amp will have to last for a while,i had a look in the classifieds on here but i am not realy sure what to look for so can i get a good second hand amp or go for a new but not quite so good one:facepalm:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha 567 is a good amp and £187 is a great price too. Sticking with last years models that are currently being sold off will make a lot of sense with your circumstances as you are getting a good reciever at a good price and the back up of a new product waranty etc.
The Denon 1911 was selling for £200 in RicherSounds but they may be sold out by now. If you can still get the 567 for that price then go for it.

thelostone

Thanks psm1 you have been a great help :smashin:so that is going to sound better than my 340r? now all i have to do is see if they have it in black:rotfl:

thelostone

Just a quick update guys managed to get a denon 1911 for £189:D and i am very happy with it.One question (but i am sure i will have plenty more) I set up the denon with the mic,had a look at the settings for some reason the audyssey seems to think i have large front speakers.Can i change this before i run set up or can i only change it afterwards in the manual setup?I understand this is totally different from my c/a 340r,but when using that the sub (mission)was very pronounced,if that is the right word so i turned that down to about half way.But with the denon i know it`s on but can not seem to hear it as much as the c/a is this down to the fact that my system is set up better than before?

jb001e9634

One question (but i am sure i will have plenty more) I set up the denon with the mic,had a look at the settings for some reason the audyssey seems to think i have large front speakers.Can i change this before i run set up or can i only change it afterwards in the manual setup?I understand this is totally different from my c/a 340r,but when using that the sub (mission)was very pronounced,if that is the right word so i turned that down to about half way.But with the denon i know it`s on but can not seem to hear it as much as the c/a is this down to the fact that my system is set up better than before?

Not sure what speakers you have, but "normally" you can set the fronts to small before or after the set-up has run and change them afterwards if required. You'll get the LFE to your sub below the crossover (normally about 80hz) letting your fronts focus on everything above that. Normal for sub/sat config, but lots of people with floorstanders do the same. For the sub, set it to about 10 or 11 o'clock before you run the setup. It should "fill in" not over power the overall sound.

At the end of the day you need to try different things and use what sounds best to you in your room.

JB

Last edited:

thelostone

Thanks for the info mate, i have monitor audio radius floor standers,i can not find were in the manual or on the amp were i can set them to small before i run start up.I did ring r/s up and they did say you can not change them to small before only after and it did not matter.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom