• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for a NAS Drive to store music/downloads on

CJT-80

Hi there,

I haven't posted for myself very much lately but wanted to ask a few questions regarding getting a new NAS Drive.

I am not immediately in the position to purchase anything but I wanted to gain a few opinions on my options...

I presently have the following set up:

Dell Studio XPS desktop
Netgear 5 port switch
VM 50 Mbps Cable Broadband
Sonos Play 3 with Bridge
WD My Book Live 3TB - presently with some FLAC files stored on it.

Plus around 500+ CD's...
------------------------------------------------------
This is what I would ideally like to do:

1. Find a suitable device to copy ALL of the CD's into Flac format, I have/will post about this on the relevant forums, but any opinions are welcome.
  2. Find a suitable NAS drive that offers me the ability to store and fully back up my Music fiiles (so 2 copies in case a drive should fail), as well as folders or separate drives for other files such as documents and photo's.... Alternatively should I keep the WD for storing documents and find a new NAS for Music?? - I am open to options.
  3. Decide on best way to listen to newly stored FLAC music, either using my existing Sonos Play 3 (perhaps with another Play 3 to create a stereo pair), or replace with an alternative speaker/amp/streamer combo...
------------------------------------------------------

Any opinions and questions will be welcome.

Thanks in advance, I hope this all makes sense.

:)

cjed

What is it about the WD My Book Live that you don't like as a NAS ? It's got plenty of capacity to store 500+ CDs in FLAC format, and should have no problem being the music source for your Sonos Play 3.

As for the backup question - just get an external 3TB USB 3.0 drive and use that to take backups of the WD My Book Live (better still, get two external drives and keep more than one backup).

CJT-80

hi there cjed, thanks for your reply.

I don't have anything specific against the WD I just wondered if there was anything that better suited my needs...

I guess I could get the FLAC files onto the drive and then maybe find a more expandable drive as and when I have the cash? Would it be hard to transfer the files over to another drive?

cjed

I guess I could get the FLAC files onto the drive and then maybe find a more expandable drive as and when I have the cash? Would it be hard to transfer the files over to another drive?

I'd certainly try using the WD My Book Live first as you already have it. Copying the files over to a new NAS is just as simple as copying over to another disk. Bring up two explorer windows, one to the NAS share/drive you're copying from and one to the NAS share/drive you're copying to and just drag the files/directories across.

I'd also look to be getting a backup drive ASAP - once you're ripped 500+ CDs you won't want to be doing it again!

CJT-80

Thanks cjed,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

I did look at the option of buying a Cocktail Audio X10 and then using it to rip all my CD's to FLAC and then copying them all over to the WD NAS - that will be once I have the cash to buy the X10 of course. Then I would have a back up on the WD from the X10.

Seems to be a lot quicker/easer to use the X10 to rip the CD's in FLAC then to rely on me getting it right on my PC with the software I have downloaded...

Any thoughts on this please?

cjed

I use a program called dBpoweramp to rip my CDs to FLAC (and MP3 for iPod use), it's pretty easy to use. There's a trial period before you need to pay the license (around £25 for single PC use) - might be worth a go. Would you be using the Cocktail Audio X10 as a player once you've ripped the CDs ? It seems a little expensive just for ripping - once you have some software like dBpoweramp set up on your PC it really is as easy as putting the CD in, pressing "rip" and repeating every 5 - 10 minutes or so.

next010

Distinguished Member
Keep in mind you have to configure that X10 to rip to a network location it does not magically just rip CD's so really it's no different from a PC.

Plus with a PC you can buy a few cheap USB CD drives and use applications to simultaneous rip the CD's to audio tracks, this will cut through the collection a lot faster than doing just one at a time. You can run dbpoweramp more than once, so you could have two copies running in tandem ripping the CD's, they also offer a pro batch ripper but that might get expensive.

Another option is mediamonkey this might be an easier way to go as it doubles as sort of iTunes but with many more features like Flac and multiple CD ripping.

CJT-80

I use a program called dBpoweramp to rip my CDs to FLAC (and MP3 for iPod use), it's pretty easy to use. There's a trial period before you need to pay the license (around £25 for single PC use) - might be worth a go. Would you be using the Cocktail Audio X10 as a player once you've ripped the CDs ? It seems a little expensive just for ripping - once you have some software like dBpoweramp set up on your PC it really is as easy as putting the CD in, pressing "rip" and repeating every 5 - 10 minutes or so.

I was thinking of just using it to burn the CD's to it's own HD and then backing it up to the NAS... it's possible in time I would use it as player, but am concious that it only has a 40 WPC on board amp...

So maybe the dBpoweramp option looks better.. seems much better value to start with... I had used EAC but I couldn't get on with the interface very well

CJT-80

Keep in mind you have to configure that X10 to rip to a network location it does not magically just rip CD's so really it's no different from a PC.

Plus with a PC you can buy a few cheap USB CD drives and use applications to simultaneous rip the CD's to audio tracks, this will cut through the collection a lot faster than doing just one at a time. You can run dbpoweramp more than once, so you could have two copies running in tandem ripping the CD's, they also offer a pro batch ripper but that might get expensive.

Another option is mediamonkey this might be an easier way to go as it doubles as sort of iTunes but with many more features like Flac and multiple CD ripping.

Thank you for this suggestion, I think having been advised by both you and cjed that looking into dBpoweramp is possibly the way to go for now.

How easy would it be to do the "batch ripping"? I think the PC has one spare CD slot (bay) and I could easily purchase some budget but decent USB CD drives.. and rip a few CD's at once... that WOULD be less time consuming... :)

next010

Distinguished Member
In the case of dbpoweramp download this, you can run the app more than once straight from the start menu (just click the icon again), so you have two or more instances of it, point each one at a different CD drive and let it do it's thing (flac is default encoder).

Amazon have these Plextor USB top loading BD drives, a little more expensive compared to a DVD only perhaps but top loading is faster to swap discs I think.

Last edited:

CJT-80

In the case of dbpoweramp download this, you can run the app more than once straight from the start menu (just click the icon again), so you have two or more instances of it, point each one at a different CD drive and let it do it's thing (flac is default encoder).

Amazon have these Plextor USB top loading BD drives, a little more expensive compared to a DVD only perhaps but top loading is faster to swap discs I think.

Thanks next10 I shall also keep that in mind, when budgets allow :)

williemaykit

Depending on your budget, a 2-4 bay Synology NAS should be able to server your needs. I have a DiskStation DS413j (a 4 bay unit) and a couple of Sonos Play 1 as a group. The NAS stores all my music, photos, and movies. Sticking a couple of drives (or more) using Synology's Hybrid Raid (SHR) will protect the data using either mirroring (in the case of two disks) or stripping (3+) and it gives you the room to expand as your collection grows.

Using the Sonos app on my mac, I have connected it to the NAS and can stream directly from the NAS to Sonos

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom