Looking for a mobile with Bluetooth but NO camera

BBD

Established Member
Reaction score
My company has a ban on mobile phones with cameras. I know this is going to be difficult to police but I don't fancy being the person they sack before they realise that soon all phones will have some form of camera! I'm struggling to find a phone with bluetooth and no camera. Has anybody got any suggestions (other than looking for a new job!)? So far I've only come up with the dated T68i or mega expensive Nokia 8910i.

Thanks derek but that's a bit on the large size for me. Sorry I should have said that I was looking for something around the size of the phones I mentioned in my original post.

OK, so I won't mention Ngage either...

Can't you get your company to let you use a camera phone, but keep it in a leather case while on the premises - something that covers up the lense?

Surely they can just ban the use of the camera?

Unfortunately the ban is on mobile phones with cameras, common sense doesn't come in to it.

yeah, but in't it just a 3510i in an Armani suit? :devil:

Just jealous - it is a smart phone.

So I guess my original findings is about it. I was planing to change from my pay up front package on 02 to a monthly cross network contract on Orange. Having a free T68i seems like a poor deal even if I could get one. Does anybody know if I can get a Nokia 8910i on an Orange contract? Also I've seen a T610 and I don't like the way the display goes to a very hard to read clock display when the backlight goes off. It means pressing the unlock keys to check for missed calls or messages if the phone is left unattended. Is the T68i or Nokia better in this respect?

I presume you can't have phones with photo capability that can have cameras attached to them either - which leaves the T68 out

Just buy a camera phone and araldite a piece of plastic over the lens. It can't take any pictures then. Job done!

What about the Siemens S55?

Not the newest phone I know!

hornydragon/dabots - I had a look at the Siemens phone last night and I quite liked it. Does anybody have any experience of how good the display is in bright sunlight and can the display be checked for messages or missed calls without triggering the backlight?

hornydragon - thanks for the Nokia suggestion but the 6810 looks a bit OTT for my needs.

Ericsson R520m
Nokia 6310i (this isn't a big phone, I got one, but it is brilliant!)
nokia 8910i
orange SPV (the first version used a plug in camera)
philips fisio 825
SE T68i
siemens S55

Personally I'd keep whatever I had and tell management to go f*** themselves, they have no proof you've used the camera :)

Rich

Originally posted by BBD
Also I've seen a T610 and I don't like the way the display goes to a very hard to read clock display when the backlight goes off. It means pressing the unlock keys to check for missed calls or messages if the phone is left unattended. Is the T68i or Nokia better in this respect?

Just turn off the screensaver function. Then stays on the main screen permanently. T610 is a wicked phone.

Messiah - The screensaver if already off but it still reverts to a digital clock when the backlight goes off.

I personally would go for the 8910i! It's an excellent handset with superb call quality. Not the cheapest, but it's looks great and it's relatively exclusive. It's far more than just a 6310i in an Armani suit, although the 6310i was still an excellent handset!

The first Orange SPV was truly awful, avoid it all all costs. the E100 had a camer attachment too, it's only the E200 that has an integrated camera. To be fair, I'm not really a fan of the E100 or E200, but they're certainly better than the original.

I just don't really like Microsoft's SmartPhone OS.

Originally posted by BBD
Messiah - The screensaver if already off but it still reverts to a digital clock when the backlight goes off.

OK, sorry. I've only had mine a few days :blush:

Originally posted by BBD
I had a look at the Siemens phone last night and I quite liked it. Does anybody have any experience of how good the display is in bright sunlight and can the display be checked for messages or missed calls without triggering the backlight?

I have the S55, display is very readable in Sunlight, in fact I've set up a profile for daylight where the backlight stays off because the screen reflects so well. I'm not sure what exactly you mean in your second question, please explain further and I'll check for you.

rct - Thanks for the info. Just to clarify my second question:

Older phones with transreflective displays can be read without the backlight on. Whilst at home I leave my mobile in the kitchen on a counter top by the door. Each time I enter the kitchen I can easily glance at it to check for missed calls or messages. In the case of a SE T610 the display changes to a very difficult to read clock display when it's not being used. This means picking the mobile up and pressing a key to clear the clock display and trigger the backlight before it can be checked for missed calls or messages. This may seem trivial but it really bugs me. I've checked a friend's Nokia and if the screensaver is turned off the display can be checked for messages and missed calls without the backlight on (with difficulty). How does the S55 fare in this respect?

Oh right I understand now. If you set the S55s screensaver to "Energy Saving" it becomes completely black apart from the network name. When a missed call/alarm or text message comes in a blue arrow appears on the LHS of the screen which can very easily be seen. the symbol indicates there is something to look at which of course you can do by unlocking the keys. If you don't set a screensaver, an envelope/telephone or alarm clock symbol appears under the left softkey, which again is readable without the backlight although not quite as easily as when the Energy Saving screensaver is active.

Hope this helps. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom