Looking for a Media Streamer with Ethernet

CaluM

Standard Member
Reaction score
So after scouring the internet looking for a cheap media streamer, i have decided to go ask on some forums, Hopefully one of you guys can help me.

Basically this is what i am after:

A media streamer, that is capable of playing h.264 720P (1080 is a bonus but non essential) content, has a HDMI port and an Ethernet port.
Capable of seeing videos from my computer that are shared over the network.
Under £75.

Now i have found some that fit my description, but they have many extra features that i don't really want, and they jack up the price.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a product like this out there?

What you want a media player to do is fairly standard, ie HDMI output and 720/1080 capable and the vast majority also have a network port for streaming media from a PC/Mac/NAS etc. But at £75 or less you are really going to limit your choices to a few of the bargain basement players such as a Sumvision which I would be loath to recommend. If you can push the budget to £100 then you have a few more and far better options such as the WDTV Live or better still IMO the Dune TV101

Mark.

I must admit, for £100 the Dune TV101 looks very good, and pretty much exactly what i need.
One thing i do like the look of, is the upscaling as i do watch some old movies that are not available in HD, do you know if the upscaling works well or if it is poor?

I think its quite good on the tests I've done, but I'm sure someone will be along and comment with their own experiences

It's upscaling is good, but I've seen better - but then again that was with a £1000+ Lumagen video processor :devil:

Seriously though it does a decent enough job of upscaling but obviously doesn't come close to dedicated off board processing or even the scaling in some higher end DVD/BD players such as my Oppo BDP-93eu. But the differences are only going to be noticed with a direct comparison or if you really know what you are looking for.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom