Looking for a Media Streamer with Ethernet

CaluM

Standard Member
So after scouring the internet looking for a cheap media streamer, i have decided to go ask on some forums, Hopefully one of you guys can help me.

Basically this is what i am after:

A media streamer, that is capable of playing h.264 720P (1080 is a bonus but non essential) content, has a HDMI port and an Ethernet port.
Capable of seeing videos from my computer that are shared over the network.
Under £75.

Now i have found some that fit my description, but they have many extra features that i don't really want, and they jack up the price.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a product like this out there?

MarkE19

What you want a media player to do is fairly standard, ie HDMI output and 720/1080 capable and the vast majority also have a network port for streaming media from a PC/Mac/NAS etc. But at £75 or less you are really going to limit your choices to a few of the bargain basement players such as a Sumvision which I would be loath to recommend. If you can push the budget to £100 then you have a few more and far better options such as the WDTV Live or better still IMO the Dune TV101

Mark.

CaluM

Standard Member
I must admit, for £100 the Dune TV101 looks very good, and pretty much exactly what i need.
One thing i do like the look of, is the upscaling as i do watch some old movies that are not available in HD, do you know if the upscaling works well or if it is poor?

graham.myers

I think its quite good on the tests I've done, but I'm sure someone will be along and comment with their own experiences

MarkE19

It's upscaling is good, but I've seen better - but then again that was with a £1000+ Lumagen video processor :devil:

Seriously though it does a decent enough job of upscaling but obviously doesn't come close to dedicated off board processing or even the scaling in some higher end DVD/BD players such as my Oppo BDP-93eu. But the differences are only going to be noticed with a direct comparison or if you really know what you are looking for.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom