Question Looking for a little help connecting AV amp, TV & Virgin box

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Zog, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having a problem with my current set-up where the audio input is constantly defaulting to TV Audio when watching the Virgin V6 box, despite the Harmony remote instructing it to switch to the optical input.

My set-up is as follows

V6 box to TV HDMI (arc) ...... V6 box to AV amp via optical for digital audio

I use the arc HDMI so that I can get digital audio from the sets internal FreeSat HD and Freeview HD receivers.

I'm thinking I might be better using the TV optical out to the amp and moving the HDMI to a non-arc input.

Any thoughts before I splash out on a 3 metre optical lead ?

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,156
    What amp is it?

My denon has an audio select button that cycles through the various options, once set to a specific output it remembers that selection. Maybe removing the audio select command from the activity on the harmony will leave it on ARC.

Just a thought.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    HDMI ARC - relies on you enabling HDMI CEC (Control). CEC is a bit of a lottery depending on the kit combination you have and trying to use CEC alongside Harmony often results in the two control systems clashing.

HDMI ARC - you cannot have the V6 Box connected to the ARC port on the TV if you are trying to use ARC to send TV audio back to the ARC port on your AV Amp. For ARC to function you connect the TV ARC to the AVR ARC.

TV Optical - if you are keen to use the Harmony I would disable CEC (which in turn disables ARC) and use Optical Out of the TV to an Optical Input on the AVR.

Joe

4. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Had a play around with the set-up tonight and things have got strange.

I have disabled ARC and HDMI control on the Denon. Run a single HDMI between the non-ARC sockets on the DENON and TV

Run a HDMI (via a splitter) and optical from the V6 to the Denon and selected both of these as the inputs. However I can remove the optical and there is still audio and it is permanently showing as PCM despite selecting DD on the V6.

So I then experimented by removing the splitter (this sends the output via a couple gizmos to the upstairs bedroom via a co-ax). Now things get strange.

It made no difference to the lack of a DD signal, but did cut-off the video because my TV does not support HDCP2.2. This seems to suggest that the splitter was curing the HDCP issue (which is all over various forums) and would also probably explain why I had such an odd set-up to begin with.

So hours messing about trying to solve a minor niggle and now I am worse off than when I started !

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    Connectivity - always best to outline the full system when looking for advice/trying to fault find.

HDCP2.2 - is the new copy protection scheme employed when viewing 4K UHD content. Where you have an HD or UHD capable Display which only supports HDCP 1.4 your Source will revert to 1080p or you require a device which will convert or strip HDCP.

ARC - with CEC/ARC disabled on the TV and AVR you can still use the ARC labelled HDMI sockets to connect the AVR to the TV, it will deliver Video (with audio) from the AVR to the TV but not Audio from the TV back to the AVR.

V6 Box > AVR - if you run HDMI + Optical you will need to select Optical as the Digital Audio Input otherwise the AVR will default to the HDMI audio. As Jamie says there is usually an option to toggle the Digital audio between HDMI, Optical and Coaxial on the AVR Remote or Setup Menu.

TV > AVR - with CEC/ARC disabled you will use an Optical cable and select the relevant Optical Input on the AVR when you want to listen to the TV Tuner or Apps via the AVR.

Splitter - if the 'other' TV's and or Extender devices only support 2.0 PCM audio you will need to set the Source device(s) to 2.0 PCM, not DD.

Joe

6. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK ..... I've adjusted my set-up to be as below.

Virgin V6 Video to splitter and on to main TV and secondary TV via a modulator and co-ax (secondary TV works just fine).
    Virgin V6 Audio direct to Denon AVR-X2300 via optical.

Virgin V6 output set to Dolby digital.

Denon inputs for V6 have HDMI disabled and audio set as optical.

HDMI out on Denon to TV for switching other sources.

This has got me around the HDCP2.2 issue and also solved my audio source from defaulting to TV Audio.

However I now have another problem where the Denon is only receiving PCM from the V6 when viewing non-HD channels. Consequently the Denon then defaults to stereo. Really annoying.

Do I assume this is an issue with Virgin V6 box ?

7. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Think I have sorted this by making adjustments to the Denon.

While viewing a channel outputting PCM I selected Dolby Surround on the Source Mode. Now I get PCM "upmixed" to DS and DD5.1 upmixed to 7.1 as previously.

I have to think that I must have reset something when re-configuring the cables.