Looking for a HDMI Splitter

rozel

Hi all, due to my AVR not supporting HDR10+ (it supports HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision and eARC) and my TV not supporting eARC, I'm looking for a splitter to split the Video and Sound from my new Media Player. My TV is a Samsung which doesn't support DV but supports HDR10+ and I bought the media player (which has single HDMI out) thinking that my AVR (Yamaha RZ-A1070) would pass HDR10+ as it does everything else.

So I'm looking for a Splitter which splits the Video and the Audio - not one which takes both to 2 separate displays. This may be referred to as a switch, I don't know. The video must be capable of supporting 4k UHD resolution (or even 8k), HDR10+, HLG and Dolby Vision and supporting HD Audio Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS Master HD MA etal (lossless audio).

Any ideas please?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The HDFury 'AVR key' is ideal in your situation, though you are a bit ahead of the requirements curve wanting '8K' support :)

Joe

rozel

Hey Joe! Blimey, I didn't expect you on here :) But glad to see you again. The last I heard from you was when I was seeking help with my former Samsung KS9500 TV and trying to get it to work with HLG just prior to Samsung releasing firmware to allow external devices to to work over HDMI.

I still have my HDMXA71 - guess that won't work here will it? If not then I'll place an order with you for the HDfury AVR Key. The specs say "Pass-thru for 4K UHD video (with HDR, DV and HLG) up to 18Gbps to your New 4K UHD Display + HD Audio to your ‘legacy’ HDMI equipped AVR or Audio Processor". This doesn't exactly say it supports HDR10+ (HDR10 Plus) - can you please confirm that it does please?

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

rozel

Thanks Joe - order placed 👍

rozel

Thanks. Does it include a power supply btw? - does it need one if not? If it needs one, where to buy?

rozel

Marvellous - cheers Joe 👍

Last edited:

rozel

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I am unable to get my TV to play a known HDR10+ video from my new Zidoo Z1000 Pro Media Player. The HDfury AVR Key for some reason doesn't respond to any changed position of the sliders whilst playing back a video either for Video or Audio. I get the correct sound (as shown on my receiver) but no HDR10+ . I just get "HDR" as displayed via my TV when pressing the Remote's "info" button.

What am I doing wrong? The instructions for the HDfury are so complicated and it is difficult to understand the "sticker" underneath it. But changing the sliders (Video or Audio) are making no apparent difference to playback.

Can someone please help me please? Maybe @Joe Fernand can assist?

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

DrNeil

Standard Member
After a bit of fiddling with settings and a firmware update the AVR Key is working perfectly. Full 4k60 to TV and 7.1 to amp with perfect sync. Excellent result!

matt220992

Standard Member
Hi Joe,

Sort of related question - can my existing Octava HDMXA71 trick a Sony STR-DN1080 into thinking it can do HDR10?
I have a PS4 trying to output the an HD-HDR signal. My Sony TV connected to the HDMI-A output works fine, but as soon as I connect the Octava to the HDMI-B port (to supply my ambient lighting system) I see the PS4 turn the HDR off.
Is this a custom EDID file upload to the Octava or do I need a different box to make this happen?

If I do need a different box, one that can do the above but also downscale from 4K HDR to bog standard HD would also be a required feature to future-proof the set up, looking at a PS5 in the coming years!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi matt220992

The Octava HDMXA71 is (was) a great box but its not going to help out now that you are trying to introduce HDR into the system.

Which ambi light system do you have and do you have a plan/sketch of your connectivity.?
HDR > SDR conversion is expensive and adding 2160p > 1080p makes it more so!

HDFury Diva - offers 4K UHD/HDR passthru, 4K UHD/HDR to 1080p/SDR transcoding plus HDMI Audio (with dummy video) Out.

Joe

matt220992

Standard Member
Hi Joe,

So the Octava can't replicate EDID information for an HD-HDR signal? Not 4K-HDR, just HD-HDR.

So the setup is as follows:

Source: PS4
Amp: Sony STR-DN1080
Amp. Output A: Sony KD-55X8509C
Amp. Output B: Octava HDMXA71
Octava Output: Martin P3-300

The reason the Octava is there is to help regulate what the Amp sees connected to it, the P3 system doesn't seem to enjoy being connected directly to the amplifier.

I closest bit of info I managed to find was in the Amp manual where it states:

• When you connect two Dolby Vision-compatible TVs to the receiver and select [HDMI A+B], Dolby Vision content is output in the HDR10 or SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) format. To enjoy Dolby Vision content as it is, connect only one Dolby Vision-compatible TV to the receiver, or select either [HDMI A] or [HDMI B].
I dont think this is the issue as HDR/HDR10 is what I am using as for as I am aware, not Dolby Vision, so it should be fine to technically pass an HDR signal out of both outputs symultaniously.

The budget option is to just not use the HDR, then it all works fine! Haha but obviously I'd like to if I can without breaking the bank!

Many thanks,

Matt

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Matt

Octava HDMXA71 - went out of production back in 2016/7 and HDR was not within its specified capabilities and whilst you can update and fix EDID it would not be the most obvious choice if you are trying to force a tricky setup to work.

With an HD HDR signal have you tried:
PS4 > HDMXA71
HDMXA71 (A) > AVR > TV
HDMXA71 (B) > LED Videowall controller.

HDFury Diva - would be the ideal solution as it is designed to pass 4K UHD/HDR plus provide the HD SDR signal your Videowall controller is going to be happy with.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom