1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a HD TV - DLP vs LCD?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gladders, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Gladders

Gladders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am looking to buy a new large screen (42" or 46") HD TV in the next few months and look set on either a DLP or an LCD set, primarily due to the expense and burn problems on plasmas.

However, picture quality is going to be key here as I will be getting Sky's HD setup when available and a new DVD player to connect with component inputs.

Can anyone advise on whether a DLP or an LCD tv would be the better bet to go for? I've noticed the dark areas on a Philips 17" LCD we have upstairs can be blocky - is this a primary problem in the same way that the DLP Rainbow effect may be?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I can only comment on my own experience of LCD.
    Give it a good HD signal and the LCD performs beautifully with so far only a few colour banding issues which were also duplicated on my PC LCD which I assume points to a issue with the captured source.
    Feed the LCD with upconverted DVD or SKY then again as long as the source is of sufficent bitrate the resulting picture is very very good. However a poor or even average digital source shows the limitations when upscaling to fit a HD res display.

Your best bet is to go to the dedicated DLP and LCD forums for better and more comprehensive advice:)