1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a HD DVD player - can someone explain HDMI, DH, DVI etc?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NeilTh, Dec 31, 2004.

1. NeilTh

NeilTh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I've got a Philips ...9976 LCD TV and currently a Sony DAVS550 DVD/int.amp running Mission speakers.

Unfortunately the Sony wont output progressive scan component in PAL (only NTSC, which is daft) so I'm looking to buy a new HD DVD player to connect directly into the DVI socket on my TV.

Problem is, HD is all new to me and seems pretty baffing, and I dont want to waste my money, so can someone help me with the following ?

1) I assume an HD DVD player will play 'standard' DVD's also and will display as a much better picture than prog scan / composite analog?

2) Will any HD DVD player connect to my Philips DVI input without any problems or do I need to check the protocol of the DVI socket?

3) any recommendations - budget around £200 ish

thanks

Neil

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Neil,

True HD DVD players won't be available for another 12 months. I guess you are referring to current players that can upscale their digital outputs to HD resolutions such as 720p and 1080i. Properly licensed manufacturers have to apply HDCP to the digital outputs so you would need to ensure the Philips is compatible. Have a look at the Samsung HD-945. Hope this helps.

Steve