1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a good UK supplier

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr_Belowski, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Peeps :)

I've decided to buy a Sanyo Z1 after about 6 months of 'umming and ahhring', and I'm after a little advice on a good supplier.

I'm in Sheffield, so ideally I'm after a local retail 'up norf' who'll let me actually see the unit I'm buying (I'm a little worried about dead pixels).

Alternatively, if any of you have had good experiences with online retailers I'd like to hear them. Especially if they're willing to check for dead pixels prior to purchase or replace a projector if it's got only one or two dead pixels (in the middle on the image - I wouldn't mind a couple if they were off to one side).

Thanks in advance,

Jim Britton

2. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thanks for the info - I was just a click away from confirming an order with them :)

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Well that's done. Pretty painless too. £20 for a dead pixel check is great - if it's got a single dead pixel they'll try a different unit :D

They say it'll arrive tomorrow. If it does I'll be pretty impressed :)

5. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Crikey. I ordered it 3:30pm yesterday, and it arrived 8:45 this morning.

There are no dead pixels, the image is rock solid and artefact free, and I'm as happy as a pig in, er, stuff.

From my experience, NexNix certainly deserve their good reputation. They called me immediately after they did a pixel check to say that their only grey Z1 had a single dead pixel in the top right hand corner of the image. The guy also checked a blue Z1, and that was perfect, so I had him send me that one and it's just great :D

I'm very satisfied with them, and will certainly use them again. Thanks for recommending them :)

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    But tell me Mr_Belowski, what is the overall performance like?

I intend to order the very same unit from nexnix and would like a n opinion.

Any obvious screen door?

And what screen are you using?

Finally, what sort of courier did they use?

I ask as I used to work within the office of a large haulage firm and some of the dozy idiots who drove for a living during my 5 years there treated their loads with utter contempt. ie. kicking, chucking, and just generally being disrespectful to other peoples property. Hence my decision to leave transport a long time ago.

Keep in touch,

Captain Benefit.

7. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Screen door:

With an 8 foot wide image, sitting about 8-9 feet away it's got some screen door. Slightly defocusing cures most of it, but there are still occasions where it's noticable. If i reduce the screen size to about 6 foot 6 inches I can see the screen door if the focus is bang on if I look for it, but with a slight nudge it's pretty much gone.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the lack of screen-door - it's really only an issue if you sit close to a very big screen.

My screen is just a flat white wall, but it looks good - it really flatters my DIY plastering job :)

As for couriers, they used Initial City Link for mine. As you know, it's always a bit of a lottery, but Scan use Initial City Link and I've bought a lot of stuff through them without problems. The box my unit came in is in perfect condition, so I don't think they kicked mine around.

I've been staring at that wall for about 6 hours today, and I'm bloody well delighted with the performance. Films look very good, and the XBox looks fab. It really is like being in the cinema.

I've not played with the setup at all yet. I just got it out the box, found the low-lamp mode and sat staring open-mouthed at the wall for hours and hours.

My only critism is the need for well controlled ambient light. Mine's in my dedicated home cinema cellar, so black-out isn't a problem. But when I switch a table lamp on, the image loses some of its sparkle and detail in shadowy areas disappears. This isn't a complaint about the Z1 in particular - all units around this price will need a dark room. But i was a little supprised at what a difference even a little light makes.

If you go for the Panasonic AE300 you'll get the same problem with ambient light. From what I hear the screen door will be less noticiable (but for me the Z1 has very little anyway), but you'll still need a dark room for proper performance.

The contrast is very good - comparable to an old Sim 2 I demoed in my local Sevenoaks shop. The image on my unit is uniformly bright, with no dead pixels or noticable colour variations across the image, so it looks like I got a good one :)

Good luck with it. I'd certainly recommend the Z1 to anyone looking for a budget projector. It passed the missus test with flying colours - she absolutely loves it, so it must be good ;)

Oh, and finally... (sorry for the disjointed post here) I recommend you do the order over the phone rather than via the website so you can make sure they do the pixel check