Looking for a good receiver for my setup, pleas help

SnowJim

Hi,

I got the following setup :

Yamaha RX-A3030
Monitor Audio RX8 surround speakers (2 front, 1 center, 2 surround)
Velodyne spl-1200
Nvidia Shield Pro
LG OLED65C8

Due to some problems with the Yamaha receiver(sound drops) Im now looking for a receiver where I can connect everything with HDMI and that supports 4K and HDR. Its very hard to get a new receiver where I live so I'm open to buy a used and in that case, fully working HDMI 2.1 is not that important.

From time to time I find receivers that might work and this is what this thread is about, to check if its a good fit with your help.

I have now found a used Onkyo TX-NR676E for about 290 EUR, according to the seller it cost about 420 EUR when it was bought back in 2018. How would this fit? Its a lot cheaper than my prev but I have hade for example Sony STR-DN1080 on test in my system and I did not notice much difference in sound quality. It did sound different but not necessarily in a bad way.

DavidT

I think with the budget you have mentioned any replacement AVR will be a big downgrade. Can you elaborate more on the issues you have with your existing Yamaha, there may be a fix or workaround.

SnowJim

I think with the budget you have mentioned any replacement AVR will be a big downgrade. Can you elaborate more on the issues you have with your existing Yamaha, there may be a fix or workaround.

I Own a Yamaha RX-A1020 as well and can´t notice a difference between them more then the RX-A3030 is stronger. The quality of RX-A3030 might be out of my leage. BUT ut would be nice if my problem was solved so I did not have to look for a new one, its not easy google these days :(

There is a thread here where I have been active trying to solve the problem.

In short I get short sound cut outs from time to time when connection like this :

Nvidia Shield > HDMI(8K cable) > LG OLED65C8 > Toslink or ARC > Yamaha

It is connected this way because the AVR do not got HDR. If I connect everything through the AVR there is no sound problems but then I also do not get any HDR.

The second problem is 3 sec video drop out from time to time when connection like this :

Nintendo Switch > HDMI > Yamaha > HDMI > LG OLED65C8

I have tried with both my Yamaha RX-A1020 and Yamaha RX-A3030 and its the same problem. I have also tried with alot of diffrent HDMI cabels, now im using only 8K certified cabels.

Any idea how to fix it?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom