1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a good mini hi-fi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Brit Rocker, May 31, 2005.

1. Brit Rocker

Brit Rocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all.

My old mini hi-fi has just given up on me (Sony CMT-CP101, apparently loads of people have had the same problem). I'm looking for a small hi-fi system which will deliver good sound quality for the money.

My budget is tiny, £100 - £150 (possibly a little higher but I don't want to push it). I've been looking at a Panasonic SCPM31. Anybody know if this is any good?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

2. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you read the thread about a small all in one system? It might be slightly over budget, but I can recommend the Teac CRH250 DAB which I bought for a whisker under £200 (exc speakers). I also got a great little set of Mission speakers for £50. Sorry if your budget won't stretch this far, I am sure there are cheaper systems, but none that I have experience of enough to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

B

3. Brit Rocker

Brit Rocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I did have a glance at that before posting but the suggestions were a little too high for me this month. Although I will bear it in mind if I decide to wait a little before buying one.

I know a lot of you who post on here may only have useful advice on larger budgets, so are there any good (honest/trusted) websites with reviews of the latest equipment?

Cheers.

4. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Put simply, I'd go for second hand / ebay stuff

For example, keep your eye on this one...it might go for more than your budget, but it's always worth checking.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86806&item=5778820893&rd=1

(I am in no way connected ot the seller, I just had a quick look to see what was out there)

Otherwise, the ubiquitous Denon DM30 / DM31 and a pair of mission / tannoy / kef / whatever speakers could be picked up for around your budget

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've got a now fairly old Sony CMT-CP500MD, I think at the low price bracket the Sony models really are amongst the best available. The build quality, feature count and sound are all good for the price, they also have the benefit of not being too phased by replacement speakers if you ever need to do that or just fancy a change or upgrade. :)

6. Brit Rocker

Brit Rocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd never really thought about buying second hand, so I'll look into that. Even though I don't want to resort to using ebay, I will make sure I look at the freeads etc before making a decision.

As for the Sony, I've been put off by the fact that my stereo was only 2 years old (almost exactly, coincidence? ;) ) when it decided to give up. I still trust them for more expensive bits of equipment but even then, better things can be picked up for less. Thanks for the input anyway (I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything :) ).