Looking for a Freeview HD+ digital box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by gino_76ph, Jul 29, 2012.

1. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there!

I am looking for a good Freeview HD+ digital set-top box where i can record HD or SD programmes whenever i want and one that you can depend on. What i meant by that is i bought this "hybrid" digital box by Fetch TV over a year ago from Tesco. i can watch and record programmes when i want it and i can connect a USB device in order to watch movies then or listen to music from it but it seems to me that the box is still quite slow, is buggy, has a 2-year old BBC iPlayer interface and a software that has not been updated by the company for a year now.

I have heard of a similar boxes by Humax & Sony but they seem to be quite expensive for me. I have heard about Youview but again their boxes are expensive and apparently have no built-in wifi which i think is a basic requirement if you want to connect to the internet, watch online contents, etc. I also heard of Google TV but it doesn't offer Freeview channels. just strictly online contents.

So,any advice please?

2. brian badonde

brian badonde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To be honest you should maybe look at getting Freesat, the HD recorders are very similar pricewise. An Echostar600 HDS or the humax foxsat hdr.There are more options with Freesat satellite, much more room for HD services/channels/more choice. If you can live with a non-recording Freeview box with all 4 HD channels, try a Technika STBHDIS2010, you can pick one up "refurbished" from Tesco Outlet on Flea-bay just now for £20+£3.49 p+p. 12 month warranty included too. Best picture quality i have seen on a Freeview box. Good luck with your choice

3. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Freesat would not be an option as i am only renting. Neither with Sky.

I have heard of those Humax Freeview HD+ boxes and also them ones from Youview which are vquite expensive but has really good specs and support from major companies such as BT & TalkTalk..

What i'm after is something with Catch-up TV, online apps or contents and a software that one can update once in a while.

What you think guys?

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    The Freeview+ & Freeview HD+ units are discussed mainly in PVRs and VCRs | AVForums.com - UK Online You should find threads (master threads) on each model there. Their pros, cons, and foibles are provided in detail, usually. Read them and make up your own mind... you must remember, though, that most users inputs are biassed (no-one has used all machines extensively to form an unbiassed opinion).

However - as far as I know - there is not one single unit in existence that will do all you want (particularly the wifi bit). In my humble opinion it takes very little to run an ethernet cable to obtain reliable connectivity. Wi-fi is for kit you walk around with not fixed equipment!

5. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    How much do you want to spend ? You're unlikely to get a good, reliable, well-supported Freeview HD PVR with built-in Wi-Fi at the budget end of the market.

I recently upgraded my old SD Topfield PVR to a Humax HDR-Fox T2 and have found it to be pretty good so far. It has a good, well laid-out interface and seems to get updated firmware every now and again according to the owner's thread.

I can't comment on the internet aspect as I've yet to set that up but I agree with Rodders53 that 'permanent' bits of equipment should always be wired to a router for a reliable connection. Fairly sure that Humax do a wireless dongle though, that isn't too expensive.

The Humax HDR-Fox T2 is likely to come down in price now that their YouView box has been announced.

Saying that - I would guess that the new Humax YouView box would fit your requirements (especially in terms of covering all aspects of 'catch-up' TV) but you'd obviously have to be prepared to pay a premium for the latest technology.

I wouldn't be too worried about not being able to get Freesat BTW - some of the channels are broadcast at an inferior bitrate to their Freeview counterparts and the extra channels you get over Freeview are generally poor or of no interest to most people (shopping channels etc). It's a real shame that Freesat haven't been able to broadcast more HD channels as it is that aspect alone, IMO, that would give Freesat the edge over Freeview.