Looking for a FLAC Player and Dock System

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Bleu, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bleu

Bleu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I'm looking for a portable FLAC player with large storage capacity (160 GB+). I'd like to connect it to a good dock/sound system but would also like to take it with me on long journeys (plane, train etc).

As for the dock/sound system I'm looking for something with high sound quality that could rival a good hi-fi system (is this possible?). It would be nice if it had DAB or internet radio although not essential. I'm also looking for a good set of headphones maximum price £200 - £250.

I know I could go out and buy a hi-fi but I've never been one to use a CD player or Hi-Fi. I listen to most of my via a computer and I think a portable player and dock would work better.

2. Tr!pp

Tr!pp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you only have 2 option for DAP's with the capacity your asking for

1) Cowon x7
    2) Ipod classic

the ipod will have better docking options available. but i beleive the x7 will connect to all stereo type speakers anyway, just wont look as nice as the ipod in a dock.

the x7 has better sound but the Ipod has better usability out of the box.
    lots of other pros and cons to both which you may want to look up.

as far as headphones go I cant really comment, im more of an IEM man, I am VERY happy with my UE super.fi 10's which you can now get for £109 (great price)

If you do go for cans though I beleive the X7 is better at driving high impendence headphones than the ipod (without the use of an amp)

3. InquisitiveA

InquisitiveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please forgive my hi-jacking of this thread but I have a very similar question to Bleu (and I've recently bought some UE Triple-fi 10s!).

I too am looking for a portable music player, preferably with a dock, where sound quality is paramount. I don't care about capacity so much and that will hopefully open up other options. I specifically don't want an iPod!

Any further suggestions?

4. Tr!pp

Tr!pp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of options but it depends on your budget, is if for ONLY music of do you want it to play videos, maybe you want wifi connection. ?

5. InquisitiveA

InquisitiveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only music
    Smaller device preferred
    WiFi doesn't really matter

I hadn't thought about budget, I guess a couple of hundred quid would be OK but if there's a really good option at a higher price point I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Depends what you mean by "docking". If you want it to have a dedicated dock and have a device stand up shining then you are most likely out of luck *I think*, without researching. If you are happy to confirm compatibility via aux (most likely on a dedicated iPod dock as the irony goes) then you will have choice

7. curitiba1982

curitiba1982
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is connecting via aux a worthy solution? ie whats the best way to connect a mp3 player to an amp/dock?

8. Tr!pp

Tr!pp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aux connection is fine imo, the best way to connect an mp3 player is through the line out. problem is that with the x7 i suggested there is no line out option though im sure you wouldnt really notice any downside to connecting via its headphone out.

The ipod uses LOD connectors to bypass the headphone out and the internal dac but if you get a speaker setup with a ipod dock you dont need to worry about that anyway.

9. curitiba1982

curitiba1982
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    theres no way i will be getting an ipod/pad etc.
    i have currently have a sony but have just bought a cowon and it would have been nice to have a dock but failing that i was wondering whats the best way to connect to an amp.

10. Tr!pp

Tr!pp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unless you have a cowon x5 of s9 then you wont have a dedicated line out which means you have to use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable (or something to that affect) which will have to be run from the cowons headphone out.

not ideal but its your only option.

altenativley you could try connect your computer to you amp instead in that has any line out options? but this may be tricky unless their in the smae room or you have a laptop)

11. curitiba1982

curitiba1982
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    its the C2.

well as you have it, im just about to update my sound card and im contemplating whether to get one with line out or optical out. any suggestion on which to get?

12. Tr!pp

Tr!pp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    either line out or optical out is fine as long as your amp has that connection to it, very few stereo amps have an optical connection but if you using a AV amp your probably covered, just check first

13. curitiba1982

curitiba1982
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers. That's makes my choice easier as the amp has both

14. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    If you're not fussed with a dock, then quite a few support flac (more if you look into Rockbox)