Looking for a device to improve upscaling and picture quality on LG G1

alki

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm an av newbie and need some help finding a product that fits my needs. I recently purchased an LG G1 TV and immediately have buyer's remorse over not buying a A90J instead, particularly for its upscaling capabilities (though it seems to just be a better TV in terms of picture quality in general). Even though I do game quite a bit and the LG is usually referred to as the better gaming for now, I usually use my TV for console exclusives which are more cinematic in general so vrr/gsync/etc aren't really relevant to me. I'd like to see if I can buy some hardware that could at least compensate for the differences, which I assume are a result of the image processor but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking for something that could do two things for me:

1. upscale video to 4k60 in a way that doesn't just stretch the screen, but does something like the shield tv's ai enhancement which tries to make use of the 4k screen as much as possible. This would be particularly useful for gaming on the nintendo switch, and older console generations like the ps2 and ps3. And this kind of processing on 1080p videos would be awesome too!

2. I'm not sure what other features are available that create such a stark difference between the A90J and G1, but if I can significantly enhance the video of my G1 that would be awesome! Both for gaming and film.

I'm willing to spend but prefer not to spend more than I need to. I usually wear headphones with whatever I'm doing so I'm not quite an audio nut yet. I guess what I mean to say is that I'm willing to spend marginally more for futureproofing an audio setup but not significantly more if there are processors out there that can fill my video needs that don't provide tons of audio support. Thanks a lot!

edit: how would something like HD Fury's Linker 4K60 4:4:4 work?

Last edited:
The first question is 'what is / are your sources'

Upscalling can be good but totally reliant on the quality of the source.

The old adage - Crap in = Crap Out.

The first question is 'what is / are your sources'

Upscalling can be good but totally reliant on the quality of the source.

The old adage - Crap in = Crap Out.
Hey thanks for the reply My sources would be the Nvidia Shield TV pro, nintendo switch, and PS3. Let me know if you need anymore info.

With source that's the actual image via the streaming service or broadcast. To see the potential of the TV then a good blu ray disc or UHD disc should be used. A lot of streaming, especially in HD and without doubt SD can have very low bit rate and there is very little, if anything, that can be done to improve on those images.

As point out, crap in, crap out.

Video Processing is not just about scaling as we are, for the most part, talking about moving images.

Prior to HDMI there were quiet a few manufacturers who produced multiple input devices which could process SD and HD images - with the release of HDMI many of those brands concentrated on selling 'silicon' to the TV, Projector and AVR manufacturers so your options for good quality external Video Processing are very limited and often very expensive.

Lumagen are one of the few 'stand alone' Video Processor manufacturers still releasing new products.

With a Switch and PS3 you could look for an older Video Processor from Lumagen and DVDO with analogue or digital Inputs and HDMI Outputs in the second hand market.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom