Looking for a decent compact Amp/Speaker setup?

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to get a semi-decent setup for the kitchen, basically its for streamed music listening, and TV viewing/gaming.

The TV viewing is done via a Sony TV, music/movies/games via a PS3.

The TV is set in a corner, and I have two options for speakers, either on top of a unit/shelves or mounted up near the ceiling facing slightly down.

The system needs to be compact, simple, and no more than £150.

These are my current ideas with the advantages and disadvantages IMO:

Audioengine 2 - nice and simple, 2.0 (better than having a sub woofer to locate), concerned about how close they may need to be set to the TV/PS3.

Acoustic Energy Aego M - nice small speakers, possibility to add a 3rd, concerned about posistion of the sub-woofer. Any one know if it can be used on its side, and in a convined space!?

TA2020 + speakers - Seem to be loads of choices on Ebay, not sure what is what, and what speakers to pair with it?

Any other ideas, a decent micro system (I don't really need CD/Radio etc).

I have the Audioengine A2 as my speakers in my office, hooked up to an iMac via a DAC.

They took a while to loosen up, and need isolating from a desk (not that should be a problem for you) but now they are set up correctly they sound pretty amazing really considering their size and price point. They are nicely made with strong cabinets, have a range of connection options and I believe you can connect a sub from them if you so choose too.

I'm not sure what your concerns are regarding placement close to the TV....but they are shielded and they easily fill my office which is 10ft x15ft.

I have the Audioengine A2 as my speakers in my office, hooked up to an iMac via a DAC.

They took a while to loosen up, and need isolating from a desk (not that should be a problem for you) but now they are set up correctly they sound pretty amazing really considering their size and price point. They are nicely made with strong cabinets, have a range of connection options and I believe you can connect a sub from them if you so choose too.

I'm not sure what your concerns are regarding placement close to the TV....but they are shielded and they easily fill my office which is 10ft x15ft.

I presume these have some kind of 3.5 jack and phono plugs as inputs, so it would need to take the sound from my TV, not sure how long a cable I could get away with, they would not be next to the TV.

Did you consider anything else?

They have both a 3.5mm input and RCA.

I'd used a few other computer speakers, including the B&W MM1 which were ok, but IMO are outrageously overpriced considering that better quality can be found for less than half what they cost.

I've not heard either of your other options i'm afraid, so couldn't comment on those.

My other combo was a Marantz hifi amp and some Morduant Short Alumni 2 which sounded good, but took up too much room on my desk.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom