Looking for a DAB receiver/seperate

wezza13

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of a noob at this but I'm looking for a cheap DAB receiver/seperate.

I have the Sony HT-DDWG800 system and was just after one so I can add DAB to it.

Ideally would like one that I can connect an external aerial to. Seen this aerial on amazon : SLx 27889R Omni-Directional DAB Radio Aerial: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The DAB receiver I have seen on the argos website is : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9289884/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|Hi-Fi+systems|28888416/c_3/3|cat_28888416|Hi-Fi+separates|28888520.htm#pdpFullProductInformation but not sure if I can connect an external aerial to it.

Any recommendations at all?

Thanks in advance. :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi all,

Bit of a noob at this but I'm looking for a cheap DAB receiver/seperate.

I have the Sony HT-DDWG800 system and was just after one so I can add DAB to it.

Ideally would like one that I can connect an external aerial to. Seen this aerial on amazon : SLx 27889R Omni-Directional DAB Radio Aerial: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The DAB receiver I have seen on the argos website is : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9289884/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|Hi-Fi+systems|28888416/c_3/3|cat_28888416|Hi-Fi+separates|28888520.htm#pdpFullProductInformation but not sure if I can connect an external aerial to it.

Any recommendations at all?

Thanks in advance :)

You can fit an external aerial to it.

Personally I didn't like the Acoustic Solutions unit because the display is almost impossible to read unless you are close up. In the end I got rid of it and bought a Teac T-R650DAB instead.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have nothing but praise for my Teac 610 unit.

I've got a Sony ST-STB900 Separate DAB/FM/AM Tuner (Silver) that I've just taken out of my AV Rack as I don't use it.
If you are interested in it, let me know and I'll PM you when I stick it on the classifieds.

I have the Cambridge Audio 650T AM/FM/DAB which I got to match the rest of my HiFi gear..works very well even using the wire aerial that came with it.

Curly

I also have the Cambridge 650T, can't fault it for reception or sound quality (bearing in mind the limitations of DAB itself). And it looks quite nice too, sort of solid and minimalist in appearance.

The negatives are, in my opinion at least, that the display is hard to read from more than a couple of feet away and it's not the most user-friendly device I've ever had. For example, when scrolling through the list of available stations you have maybe 3 seconds between finding the one you want and hitting "select" or "ok" or whatever button it is, before the display goes back to the station you were already on and you have to start again.

Minor irks really, overall I'd certainly recommend it.

I have the Cambridge Audio 650T AM/FM/DAB which I got to match the rest of my HiFi gear..works very well even using the wire aerial that came with it.

Curly

The negatives are, in my opinion at least, that the display is hard to read from more than a couple of feet away and it's not the most user-friendly device I've ever had. For example, when scrolling through the list of available stations you have maybe 3 seconds between finding the one you want and hitting "select" or "ok" or whatever button it is, before the display goes back to the station you were already on and you have to start again.

Minor irks really, overall I'd certainly recommend it.
I find the display is not too bad, could be better but it's ok for me from where I sit, as for the stations reverting after few seconds you need to turn "Autoselect" on, from the manual
Note: DAB mode the 650T can be set to Autoselect On or Off. When On if you browse to a station in the display (using the buttons) and then press nothing for a few seconds, the display will automatically tune to that station.

When Off you need to press Select after browsing to a station to tune to
that station (if nothing is pressed the 650T reverts to the current station
after a couple of seconds).

Press and hold the Select/Mode button to set Autoselect On. Press and
hold again the Select/Mode button to set Autoselect Off

Curly

Curly, you are a star! I was unaware of the autoselect feature; that should make it much nicer to use. Cheers! :thumbsup:

(By the way, sorry to hijack the thread - back to topic, the Cambridge is most certainly worth a look :) )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom