Looking for a DAB/FM/ WiFi radio with an aerial socket

DavidT

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As the title says I am looking for a DAB/FM/Wifi radio for my kitchen that has the ability to connect an external aerial that is mounted on the roof. I am looking to pay no more than £150. Are there any available?

Thanks

David

I assume from the lack of responses and a quick search myself that such a beast does not exist or is extremely rare.
Internet radios seem to be smallish devices, easily moved around.
DAB radios that are small or portable tend to dispense with an antenna socket.
Aerial sockets are most commonly found on the larger radios (not designed for portability).

I find odd that so many DAB radios have dispensed with an aerial socket. Particularly, as DAB reception is still pretty variable around the country and sometimes the only way to get DAB is to use an external aerial.

I can only assume that the manufacturers are trying to save the few pence cost of the socket.

I wrote in a thread here a couple of years ago how I added one to my old Sainsburys Red radio once the guarantee had expired.

Chris Muriel, Manchester Airport Lounge but normally ....

I wrote in a thread here a couple of years ago how I added one to my old Sainsburys Red radio once the guarantee had expired.

Yes it is often possible to do this. However, it requires a certain amount of technical knowledge, appropriate tools and courage - you could end up with a dead radio. I added a socket to a Vita Audio R1, but like you waited until the guarantee had expired.

It seems unreasonable for manufacturers to sell expensive radios which wont work because of inadequate aerials. Then the purchaser has to modify the radio to get it functioning.

Thanks for the replies. I have a cheap and cheerful no make DAB/FM radio at the moment which is kaput and needs replacing, even though it was cheap it has an earial which can be unscrewed revealing an F connector. Why don't the latest radios have the same feature?

David

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom