Looking for a compact speaker setup (for 2nd TV) ideally 2.0

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by figoagogo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    We have a Sony 24in TV in the kitchen / family area, I want to improve the sound, but I don't need full surround, thinking of a PC type 2.0 (2.1) setup, can any one recommend these or give any other suggestions:

Logitech Z520 Speaker System
    Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II Multimedia Speakers
    M-Audio Studiophile Av30 Desktop Speakers
    JBL Creature III 2.1 Desktop Speaker System - White (2.1 - problem is positioning the sub)

I have about £80 max to spend, I know I am not going to get the very best in Audio quality, but it will sure improve the TV sounds. FYI - we use the setup for music streaming/TV/occasional movie and games.

I do have slight concerns with the lengths of the wires, would prefer those that use "speaker" terminals/cables.

2. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    No thoughts on these options?

This is what I have gone for, not sure if its the best choice but gives me some flexibility in posistioning and upgrading if ever it was required...

Acoustic Solutions Bookshelf Speakers £17.99 from Argos
    Renkforce mini-Hifi Amp E0SA9 £50 from Amazon
    + I need to get some decent cable to wire it all up!

3. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Sure is quiet around here :)

I now have the speakers and the amp has arrived, so going to set it up tonight, if any one is interested I can leave some feedback here.

4. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Been looking for a set of 2.0 speakers for PC for a similar budget and from what I've read going down the route of separate AMP and a pair of bookselfs is the best route. Don't know how good those bookselfs from Argos will be though, I would have been tempted to spend a bit more on a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 9.0's which are around £40 to get the most out of the amp.

Good decision not to bother with the AV30's, seen far to many user reviews of them reporting failure less than a year in due to the overheating amplifier in the left speaker and the likes of the Creatives/Logitechs aren't great when compared to just slightly more expensive studio montiors.

After a few weeks of research I'm going to go for a pair of Edifier R1600T's for around £75.

Would be great to hear some feedback on your current setup though.

5. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Will let you know! A bit short of cash at the moment, so seeing what I can get on a tight budget. Any thing will beat the current tv speakers.

6. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    All setup - and its certainly an improvement on the TV speaker, but perhaps not quite what I hoped for, keep telling myself I must be realistic based on the small out lay.

The amp is OK, looks nice, but buttons/dial feel a bit cheap (wobbly/loose), the amp doesn't have a fan, seems to have a heat sink or similar - no noise whilst not in use. It has 3 inputs, speaker out puts (clip type), there is also "surround" outs (phono type) - not sure how you use this, and I imagine its quad (2 x stereo rather than true surround).

Speakers look fine, they are on a shelf which itself isn't mega sturdy (it needs to be removed and tightened up). I think I need to fix the speakers in place with blu-tac as they seem to move a bit too freely.

FYI - I am using a fairly decent speaker cable, not sure if the cable I am using from the TV to the amp (3.5 - 2 x phono) is any good, its a thick cambridge audio thing, I would prefer phono from the TV, but no phono outputs! I could run phono out from my PS3/TV cable but I doubt there would be a benefit?

7. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Thanks for the feedback, useful info there.

8. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I am going to have a go at tidying up all the wires tonight, and have a play about to see what sound I can get out of it.

9. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Did you get these? I've been looking at this sort of set up for a while for use with an imac. I usually find PC speakers very tinny, even the 2.1 set ups I've had have not been enjoyable to listen to. Would be interested to hear how you get on with these.

Also - where did you source them from? I can't find too many places online stocking these.

I've seen others recommending the Microlab SOLO6C, which are similar. Not sure if anyone has feedback on these as a comparison?

10. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Not got round to getting them just yet. Getting hold of them is difficult, I've enquired at Overclockers UK who had been selling them for £75 and was planning on ordering them from there, but I've been told their stockist is adding £30 to their cost price so they won't be restocking them. Seen them for £85 though and can order from Amazon Germany for about £80 too. Looked into the SOLO6C's and did demo them also. Great speakers and a couple of people have said they are better than the R1600T's but they are a bit big (30cm) for my liking. If I had the room I would go for the 6C's.

11. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm thinking along the same lines to you. If they are 30cm then they are basically bookshelves, and I would say a pair of 2nd hand bookshelves with an amp and cheap dac might blow them out of the water.

With an Imac on my desk, I went for style before. Not sure whether I really want to push my wish for decent audio in a direction which means I have amp + dac + big speakers on my desk...

Perhaps something like HK soundsticks would be a better compromise for me.

The Edifiers seemed like almost a half way house between the 2. Have you demoed any others?