• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question looking for a cheap nas will this work hp proliant gen8 4gb ram

Khans

Established Member
Hi i am looking for a cheap way to set up a nas. i was thinking of using this as a nas
HPE ProLiant Gen8 G1610T 819185-421 4GB RAM MicroServer and get 2 nvidia shields in the rooms to play the files to the tv. files will be 4k and with HD audio and atmos sound.
my main question is will the above work.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Should have no issues as the Shields are doing all the hard work, the server is just serving data and has no effect on what video or audio formats will play.

It won't have the grunt to transcode any files like that if you're using Plex though. I would also say for those types of files, wifi will be a no go, you'll need to have it all hardwired with ethernet or maybe with homeplugs which can be a hit or miss.

Khans

Established Member
Should have no issues as the Shields are doing all the hard work, the server is just serving data and has no effect on what video or audio formats will play.

It won't have the grunt to transcode any files like that if you're using Plex though. I would also say for those types of files, wifi will be a no go, you'll need to have it all hardwired with ethernet or maybe with homeplugs which can be a hit or miss.

yeah the shield and the micro server are going to be hardwired.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom