1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a cheap component switcher

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by WPA, Apr 10, 2004.

1. WPA

WPA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm looking for something cheap and chearful here, I am just sorting out my cabling for my projector, and am moving over all my video sources to component. I currently have cables on the way for my DVd player, Xbox, Gamecube and PS2.

I am looking for a low cost/no frills component switcher. Doing a search on the web i can find some really low cost switchers... as in £15 for a 3 way manual one, but they all seem to come with a short cable to go into you output attached.

After routing my cabling around, my AV stuff will be 10m away from my projector, so these little cables that these cheapo switchers come with are no good. Can anyone recommend one, or failing that is coupling 2 component cables together a good/bad idea, and if it was ok to do - can anyone recommend me a coupler.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    WPA

If you want cheap and cheerful why bother with Component - why not stick with RGB via SCART.

To switch four YUV sources your cheapest option is probably going to be using two or three Composite plus Stereo Audio manual switchers in tandem - I'm sure Maplins and the like will supply these with all RCA Phono sockets and no captive cables.

Using Y-Connectors wont work to well with four sources :)

Best regards

Joe

3. WPA

WPA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I'm doing things as cheap as possible - while trying to get the best picture I can.... besides the fact that I can only get a prog scan signal from component leads.

Will a straight switcher designed for composite work, I thought the problem was with a different resistance in component leads vs standard stereo phono leads ?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    WPA

AHAH!!! - you want broadcast quality for Argos pricing then :)

If you want cheap and cheerful use the basic three input switcher - the three lines will all be identical.

Best regards

Joe

PS I do supply exactly what you want spec wise but its going to cost you £250 + cables.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't forget you get what you pay for, these cheap 3 way switchers like the BT125 are poor at video switching degrading the delicate signals. I have one. The holy grail of cheap video sitching is one I haven't cracked yet, nor has anyone else by the way to my knowledge. It cost some money to do this properly, often a more effective solution is to use some unused inputs like SVideo instead.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
  8. WPA

WPA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I can't pretend to understand all the numbers quoted around the bandwidth... in fact I was somewhat lost. But how perceptable is the loss of signal.

As an example, I'm a bit of a video games enthusiast, sitting ontop of my TV right now are 3 scart switcher boxes of the cheapest variety you can imagine. And to make matters worse they are all chained together - so in certain situations the signal would have to travel down all 3 £10 switchers before it got to my TV.

But I can't see the difference, I get a nice clean RGB image from the consoles. But to be fair, this is a 25" CRT set, not a 7ft projection screen - is this just a case of blowing up the massive flaws that are going to be there ?

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    WPA

So use three low cost Composite + Stereo audio switchers to achieve YUV switching and you will not have a problem - don't go looking for problems unless you want to start shelling out lots of cash.

Best regards

Joe

10. WPA

WPA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I really feel like I ought to be apologising for attempting to do something on a budget here. The way it reads, it sounds like some of you guys are offended that I'm even asking the question.

I really am sorry... if only I'd taken better care of that money tree in my garden, I'd be able to afford all those nice super-duper AV units :blush:

If there's nothing you'd recommend then fair enough, but putting component through a composite switcher simply doesn't fly, that's like trying to get component over a regular stereo phono cable and I don't even need an oscilliscope to see that the picture goes completely to pot if you try it

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    WPA

Apologies if you feel I'm being offensive but what do you want?

You asked are there any cheap and cheerful YUV switchers that are any good and the answer is NO - not if you want something for £30.00.

If you want a cheap and cheerful full bandwidth YUV switch then I have Zektor HDS4 units sitting here ready to be shipped at around £250.00 - that's cheap and cheerful compared to a broadcast YUV switch which is nearer £2.5K.

Initially you asked about coupling two YUV cables now your a broadcast engineer with a scope - which is it? if its the latter why pose the question in the first place.

You say you cant SEE a drop in picture quality through your RGB switches (though I'm sure your scope will tell you otherwise).

The same will be true if you use a Composite + Stereo switch for YUV - technically its poor but you wont SEE the signal drop in your set-up.

If you can - please explain how RGB Component through a low cost switch is any different to YUV Component through a low cost switch; what's different internally with an Argos SCART switch and an Argos Composite video switch.

Best regards

Joe

12. WPA

WPA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Actually Joe, it was my belief that I as causing offence to yourself for wanting to do something on a tighter budget. Seems that my reply almost certainly has, so my apologies for the flipant remark.

I'm no broadcast engineer (I think that bit is painfully obvious) nor do I have a scope. Perhaps I'm trying to put 2 and 2 together and getting 5. I'll try again.

TBH I'd be perfectly happy to switch using a composite switcher, but I don't think it'll work for two reasons... which maybe wrong - so please feel free to correct me. I believe there's a difference in cable to carry component and one to carry a normal stereo signal. Perhaps it's the Ohm's rating - I think the video signal of composite is 75Ohms and this is also what component needs, I think that the two leads to carry the stereo signal doesn't need to be 75Ohms, and is normal less. Another reason I believe this is because I have hooked up a component DVD player to a component CRT TV set, and the display was awful, replace with "proper" component leads, and everything was happy again.

The reason I ramble on about this little experiment is that if I connect a component lead into a composite switcher, won't I be left with the problem of part of the "circuit" will not be up to the job and the display will look rubbish ? Hence my comment about not needing a scope to see this, visibly there was a massive difference.

A friend of mine has this low cost unit http://play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=GADG&title=142733

He tried putting component through the composite inputs and got a very dark display - though this switches electronically, so I don't know if it makes a difference.

I'm still a tad confused though, in the application of getting from a DVD player to a projection screen if you can't SEE the drop in quality that the scope tells you is there, why does it matter. Surely it's all about the picture you actually end up watching ?

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The bottom line is you get what you pay for here, The cheap BT25 is just cheap switches on L, R and composite. None are 75 ohm which is what you want on a quality solution. The plug size is correct however and you can easily plug in 3 x 75 ohm cables and switch, it will work but it is just that the signal will get degraded. Whether that amount of degredation matters to you is down to you to decide, but it is there and seen even on a standard TV. It get worse the better quality the display device (and size). Personally I find these devices too limiting even for basic installations for friends but others here use them. I prefer to spend a 'bit more money' or use another interface. The boxes are cheap enough just to try however but be aware of the strengths and limitations of the box

worth reading this thread as well

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=128095&referrerid=15820

if you haven't seen it already

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    WPA

Were all on the same side here - only your wishing for the impossible; a low cost YUV switch that doesn't degrade the video signal.

As you say its all about what you see and how you perceive it - some on the forums will tell you your being picky for noticing your mates low cost switch made a mess of the signal.

Like The Beekeeper (and others) I've looked around for low cost switches - though obviously when I'm looking I also have one eye on selling them on to earn a living (then again I do have a Zektor in my own system).

The Zektor is the closest to a 'low cost' switch that doesn't trash the video signals that I can find - though others on the forums will tell you that Me, The Beekeeper and cybersoga are all charlatans and a £30 switch is just the bees knees.

And its not just us Home Theatre nutters that like the Zektor kit - see http://gear.ign.com/articles/452/452131p1.html

Best regards

Joe

PS Is it just my PC or are the Forums running/walking very slowly?