Question Looking for a centre speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jontell, Oct 6, 2017.

1. jontell

jontell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all. I need a centre that will work well with my left and rights which are Q Acoustics 2010i’s. I tried a CA Min 21 which I have but there’s way to much of a tonal difference. I know the 3090c is the obvious choice but it’s huge and don’t have a place for it to go unless I get a new tv cabinet.

So my question is, is there anything a bit smaller that will work well at a similar price.

Thanks.

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    2000Ci is the matching center using same drivers as 2010i; Q Acoustics Single Centre

But as you said the 3090c is too big, the 2000Ci is even slightly larger.

This is another option; Q Acoustics 7000Ci Centre Speaker - Superfi

But hard to say without hearing how it would match to 2010i`s. Generally speaking over 60% of movies soundtrack comes from center channel so going that small(7000i) is a little compromise. If you have only 1 place where you watch movies, you can toe in the fronts and run 4.1 without center speaker. If you aren`t happy, you can either buy center speaker stand in front of your cabinet or build it yourself. If that won`t work either, just buy the new tv-cabinet & 2000Ci.

I had the 2000Ci sitting on center speaker stand in small room years ago. I remember being happy with the front three.

3. jontell

jontell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I may have to consider a new stand.

I forgot about the 2000ci. I meant to ask. This appears hard to come but as it’s discontinued. If I can’t get one would the 3090 match do you think? It seems to have the same speakers I think going by the specs?

I am currently trying a 4.1 set up to see what I think.

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    If you click on the "Last few available" green coloured at right side it opens window and shows which shops has them. I counted 8, 1open box at Manchester which might be even cheaper. So you don`t need to look 3090C.

5. jontell

jontell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All stores are a very long way from me unfortunately and they will not post :(. I would need the graphite colour.

6. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    One member here just ordered the last MA Silver`s in different shops. If i remember right they were "collection only", but when called they posted them. Why wouldn`t they post new speaker? o_O Strange.. Maybe you need to call all of the 7 shops, one might send it.

7. jontell

jontell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Update, so I ended up getting the 3090c as I was assured by RS that it would match my 2010i's tone, and also it is a tad smaller (1cm). Connected it up and popped a film on, but the centre did not sound as bright as the L+R. After a lot of head scratching and messing with all the settings, I realised what was casuing this. On my Yamaha amp, you can adjust the treble and bass ( you cant do this from the reomte, and it is for the L+R channels only) the treble was on 4, I reduced it to zero then it said bypass, and hurrah! all 3 fronts sound identical. Just a shame I cant raise the treble on all 3 as I felt it sounded better. They almost sound held back slightly now.

I have not tried a film yet since I figured this out, only the tv with the amp on a 5 channel enhancer to test it. Hopefully it will sound ok.

8. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Great to hear you got it! Put a film that has DTS / DD soundtrack (and the avr shows it on front panel) and give it go. Tv programs might be with crappy audio.. Your Yamaha avr might have different DSP modes which you could play with too.

9. jontell

jontell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah Ill try it when I get chance. I don't usually use DSP modes, I just leave it on straight but will have a play.

I could do with a new avr as mine is only an entry level one (HTR-2064).