looking for a center speaker

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by liamstears, Jan 4, 2012.

1. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So I managed to pick up 6 acoustic solutions instate 70 bookshelfs and 2 acoustic solutions av120 floorstanders for £25 and recently bought a denon avr-1911 receiver and now looking for a center

I'm going to have a 7.1 setup, floorstanders up front and 4 instates for surrounds

Anyway, I've been offered a gale center 20 second hand mint for £30 and also noticed richer are doing the gale aria ar-50 for £40, would one of these be the way to go? If so which one? Or should I go for something completely different?

Needs to be £50 or less delivered, don't mind if it's second hand

Thanks in advance guys/girls

Edit: forgot to mention I also picked up a Yamaha YST-SW150 Subwoofer for £15

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Please help guys, really want to buy a center today

I have also been offered an Eltax monitor center for £45, can get an eltax atlantis for £38 and I may be able to get a Ditton Carina DC12 for just under £50?

Please help guys...

3. NicG

NicG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You should look for something that is a tonal match for your floorstanders. Normally you would achieve this by getting the centre fromt he same range as the front L+R, cannot see too much on AS so not sure if they do one. Yuo will probably be better using one of the spare AS instates as a centre and saving your cash.

4. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I cant seem to find anything as center and I have been using a spare as the center but it is weak and voice is not clear as I would like, looking for an improvement...

5. NicG

NicG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In that case you are in gamble territory. Try to find the best you can for the budget and see if you like it, the RS one may be the better option as it gives you you ability to try at home and return if you don't like it, otherwise you will be trying to shift one on each time you try.

What you will be looking for is the tonal match, there was an good explanation on here I think, if a Harley is riding from left to right you will have a good tonal match if you here Harley (left), Harley (centre) and Harley (right). A poor tonal match will give you Harley, moped, Harley, or if the centre is by far better, moped, Harley, moped. Although given that speach comes from the centre having a superior one is an improvement on having it as your weak link.

Are your volume level's OK? Check the current centre is set high enough.

6. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its not levels, ive used a setup mic and tried tweaking but even when hitting +++ on the center it does get louder but its not very clear. I mean its not horrible and it is useable I just want something a bit clearer as im not doing too well in the hearing department and im going slightly deaf so just looking for something clearer.

To be honest im not worried about sending something back, which one I get I will most likely keep regardless because I expect most of them will be better than one of these instate 70's so really just want to know which of those is the best? Im looking for clear voice with as much volume as possible, I like loud being im a drummer and use to dj so loud is good but also want speech to be clear

So yeh which one above is best? ive tried looking at spec sheets etc but I cant really find anything out about the new one from richer but looking at specs it seems to me that the Eltax monitor center seems to be the better one with a wider frequency range and more watts and maybe the gale center 20 behind that but being as I use to dj and im drummer and I use to do stage sound we all know that labels mean nothing as there are so many ways to cheat on spec sheets so yeh looking for opinions...

7. NicG

NicG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One last teach your mother to suck eggs bit, is it wired correctly. Assuming it is,

A quick search on the Eltax Atlantis shows that people were buying a 5.0 group back in 2004 for GBP 60 so 38 for the centre does nto look good.

ELTAX 5.0 Surround Sound Speaker Pack £59.98 (further reduced with vouchers) - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Not sure on the monitor, I like Gale and am probably biased (based on some old monitors about 20 years ago so things might have changed).

Spec sheet will only give numbers and not help with how it integrates to what you have. Go to RS get the Gale and see how it is. If you are happy and like it, job done, if not I would say try the eltax monitor as you would expect both Gales to show similar traits.

8. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Hmm I think at the moment its a tossup between the gale centre 20 and the eltax monitor centre, the new one from richer is out just because I cant get to a store to pick one up (didn't realize it was instore offer only)

Seems like the eltax maybe more powerful

Both look good, the gale speakers look similar to my surrounds and the eltax speakers look similar to my floorstanders

The gale is huge! 600mm wide, still trying to find dimentions on the eltax

Looking for a decision between these

The gale is £30, the eltax £45 but I hope to drop the price on the eltax if I go for that

What should I go for between these....

9. NicG

NicG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's tougth as it will come down to your ears. If it was me I would get the Gale.

10. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

At the moment I am swaying eltax, my reasons being it isn't so wide which will be better for my room layout, it has bigger woofers which look better quality than the gale and also the tweeter looks better quality than the gale and also it is rated on paper to be more powerful although I do prefer the gale name

I have asked for a better price on the eltax and if he drops down to my offer I think I will take the eltax and if not I will grab the gale but please if my reasons are wrong tell me and if anyone else wants to give some input please do

11. NicG

NicG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tough call depending upon your crietria. It seems size is important so the smaller one may suit your needs better.

At this price point I doubt there is much between the two, the Eltax goes lower (in bass terms) but at that level your sub will be taking it. Looking at them on paper will not tell you which one gives the best tonal match or which handles voices the best. If you can get the Eltax for the price you want and you are happy with how it sounds then you are done.

Over analysing will probably cuase you more stress than going and buying one, loading up a film and enjoying it.

12. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Managed to grab a jamo centre 200 for £13 so giving that a shot

13. sirlayabout

sirlayabout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    how are you liking the jamo centre, I have an eltax symphony centre and was wondering if the jamo would be an upgrade ? Also where did you get one for £13 ???

14. liamstears

liamstears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I like it, its not great but definately packs a punch, not sure how it would compare to your current centre though but if you tried it and didnt like it you could always sell it on, if you get one please let me know what you think

And it was an ebay steal :p