• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for a budget projector

Alan Nottingham

Novice Member
What sort of things should I look out for?
Am I going to get a decent projector for less than £300?

Would prefer HD but not bothered about 3D.

Will be using the projector outdoors (in a dark area), to watch some sport and films occasionally. Not the main screen in the house.

Does this look like a decent projector? Seems to have good reviews.

Argos - www.argos.co.uk

Thanks
Alan

martinthorn1

Might be worth checking secondhand if you want hd at that price level. The Argos one you linked to is not even hd resolution so might not be as sharp as you like..

Alan Nottingham

Novice Member
Thanks Martin

Where is a good place to get second hand projectors from?
I've looked at ebay, but it's hard to know what to look for.

Are there any popular models that i should look out for on eBay?

Also, does HD make much of a difference with projectors - i.e. does SD look rubbish, or will i still be able to see players on a football pitch for example?
I thought the model I linked to was HD. If its not HD, I can still get my sky+ box shown on the projector via HDMI cable right?

Thanks
Alan

martinthorn1

Hi again, the Argos link doesn't seem to be working now, but I think it was for the Epson EBS02H? If so that is definitely not HD resolution, it is 800 x 600 pixels which is a little bit more than standard definition(SD), but less than HD ready (1024 x 768 or more) and much less than Full HD (1920 x 1080).

So SD might not look rubbish (but won't be amazing if projected onto a 100" screen) but HD will not look like HD quality, it would look like good SD (DVD quality perhaps)..

On ebay searching for projectors less than £300 but more than £100 and selecting 16:9 image aspect ratio (this cuts out most of the education/business projectors) gives quite a few possible choices with resolution of 1024 x 768. I'd suggest sticking with an established brand such as Epson or Optoma (eg. there's an Optoma HD600X) rather than a 'no-name' import if you get one from there. Just be aware that there are a number of projector technologies: the HD600X is a 'DLP' which typically give better motion and black level responses but some people can see occasional distracting flashes of multi-colours - rainbow effect, the Epson you linked to is an LCD model which typically have worse motion and black levels, but don't have the rainbow effect! Note that many people don't even register the rainbows (I can just see them on the odd occasion when I flit my eyes rapidly across the screen)..

Your final question about watching Sky on the Epson from Argos; yes I would have thought it will work given the hdmi connection.. Plenty of happy customers on Amazon despite the low resolution:
Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Epson EB-S02H Projector (3000:1, 2600 lumens, 800 x 600 SVGA)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom