Looking for a budget Acoustically Transparent Screen, any suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by carlso47, Jan 16, 2016.

1. carlso47

carlso47
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have an Samsung LED with KEF T Series speakers on the wall, and Im looking for a retractable screen that will cover it all. I don't want to spend a ton of money of this, but guess I need an AT screen and can't seem to find any under £1k. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks a lot

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,217
    all depends on what size you want I guess
    Elite
    ScreenInt
    Grandview

3. xar

xar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    AT and retractable = expensive I'm afraid...

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,776
    True; I've been looking into the possibility of replacing my currently screen with an AT electric one (and 2.40:1 aspect too) and I don't expect it to be cheap.

In fact I would think that a cheap AT screen would either have a fairly visible texture and/or perhaps have a high HF attenuation which would, for me, defeat the object of getting one: I like the effect of the sound coming from the screen itself, as although my LCR are directly below my screen and angled upwards by design (MK MP150) seeing a few AT set ups at dealer open days showed me that my set up still has room for improvement. The better AT screens don't seem to have such a low gain either, which is useful as I'd prefer not to have to run in high lamp to maintain my current reflectance levels.

However, if you can go with a fixed AT screen then Filmex is a very cost effective solution (I think Epic Home Cinema can supply this).

5. xar

xar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    I have a fixed Screen Reseach Enlightor 4K (which isn't cheap) and I can see the 'weave' up to 5m away, but then I do have good eyesight. I had a normal screen previously and it was totally flat.

So I would suggest having a good look before you buy, as I did demo before I purchased but didn't really notice the weave at the time. On wide sky or light shots it is very noticeable (like oblivion). I found it very distracting initially, but have learned to live with it.

I think my laborious point being you should demo before you buy if possible, but based in forum info and reviews the screen I have is supposed to best one of the better ones, so it may just have to be something you live with if you are close enough to see it with an AT screen

I have been tempted to get some filmex just to see, but not sure I can be bothered with setting it all up.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,776
    I have seen the Seymour XD in action recently and couldn't see the texture on that screen even with a brighter projector in use (JVC X5000). However I will be making sure I have more demo time specifically for the screen (it was a dealer open day, so wasn't particularly about the screen I just asked which one it was for reference).

My first screen was a Greywolf II and the texture really niggled me after a while, so I don't want to get backwards (my current non AT Beamax is very smooth).

My screen is in front of a window, so I don't have the option of Filmex myself, but I've heard good things about it. If I was able to have a fixed screen then I think it would be top of the demo list.

7. xar

xar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Sounds like you know what you are looking for which is half the battle. Once you notice it (weave, holes, Moore etc) it's hard to see past it.

Good luck hunting! I am curious to see what you find as my screen is irritating enough to consider changing, albeit I have very few dealers with AT screens in demo near me (Edinburgh) so hard to compare.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016