looking for a A/V Amp/Receiver that is good for dvd's and Stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Duster, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm looking for an A/V Amp/ Receiver that is good for dvd's and Stereo.
    The amp I own at the moment is good with dvd's but not very good with music.
    I'd like to get an amp that is good with both.
    I know that a Hi-Fi amp is much better at music than a A/V amp, but I just dont have the space.
    I have around £1000 to spend.

Any advise please.

2. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a DSP-AX640SE amp, which is the same as yours but without the radio. If I was going to upgrade, I would go for the RXV-2400RDS which is £1000, but at the moment it is down to £650 at Superfi. This is too good to miss in my opinion. It was recently reviewed in What-Hifi and won the test against the Denon 3805 and the Arcam AVR300, which is £1300. However, the Arcam is slightly better than the Yamaha in Stereo. I very much doubt it is TWICE as good though as the price suggests.

Have you thought about upgrading your DVD player? I used to have a Pioneer model and having upgraded to a £250 unit, the sound quality is remarkably improved. Much more than I thought it would, even with the same 640 amp.

...I've got it...here's the answer... You have £1000 to spend. Get the 2400 amp, and with the £350 left, I would seriously consider getting the Denon 2200 DVD player. This was originally £600 therefore a hell of a bargain, as with the amp! You will even get them from the same place - Superfi.

Just incase you're wondering, no I do not work for Superfi, I just no a bargain when I see one.

Ah.. i've just noticed you have a seperate CD player. You could always save your £350 instead!

Good luck

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or spend the extra £350 on a good integrated amp for stereo work. It'll sound a lot better than the AV amp.... ah no space. Problem there. I think most of the latest crop have pure direct modes that switch off all video circuitry. I suppose that'll help.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duster, I recently got fed up with having two amps (an AX640SE for surround and a NAD C370 for front channels and stereo) and was looking at a suitable one box solution. Last week I dragged my brother and uncle down to demo the stereo capabilities of three amps: Denon 3805, Yamaha 2400 and an Arcam AVR200. None of us are experts (on the plus side, neither of the others knew about price or reputation), but we all agreed that in stereo the AVR200 was the best, the Denon second and the Yam a distant third.

I personally have a secondary interest in surround sound - I don't find myself analysing the quality of gunfire or engines reving - so the AVR200 was the best option. I would say that the decision would have been more difficult had the Arcam not been £400 cheaper than the others, but I had originally intended to spend more, so I was pleasantly surprised to have saved money. I've since not noticed any deterioration in surround sound quality compared to the AX640, but judgin by the age of the AVR200, your money might be spent better elsewhere if you value the av side of things or have more than 5 speakers.

My personal opinion... :)

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For sound quality, Arcam AVR-300 is the one to choose.
    Barend

6. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

I think i'll have a look at a Arcam AVR-300, and see what I think.

Thanks again :smashin: