Looking for a 65" UHD TV recommendation.

MJSx

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a 65" UHD TV recommendation after endlessly going round in circles. I did look round a showroom in John Lewis recently (which I know for some is a no-no), I'd researched a couple models beforehand in advance and identified a few - I just wanted to see them in person. Specifically I looked at the Samsung Q80T as I know I can get it for £1599 elsewhere and for a VA panel it looked like it would have good viewing angles. But I've recently been put off on pulling the trigger on the Q80T, mainly because to my naked eye the 55" variant in store didn't seem that impressive when put against the XH90 for example but maybe that's just my eyes, plus the lack of DolbyVision (bearing in mind the TV would mostly be used for movies) and that HDR10+ doesn't seem to be as popular a format, that and maybe OLED is better for my usage anyway has made me rethink. So anyway I'm looking for a recommendation, I've detailed below my usage and req, my budget is around £1800 but would be willing to go up to 2K if it's really worth it, I have no idea when the best time is to actually buy - so if buying around now is stupid then please say so, (should I wait for BF?).
  • Sources I use:
Netflix? ✅ (Although I currently don't pay for the premium tier but I likely would upgrade upon purchase of a UHD TV)
Amazon? ✅
Apple TV ✅
Catch up TV? ✅(Mostly iPlayer)
HDR games consoles? ❌ (Only gaming I do with the TV is worth my Nintendo switch, so HDR gaming isn't a need for me, fairly good input lag however is)
PC usage? ❌
DVDs? ❌
FHD Blu-Rays? ❌
Don't use this TV for terrestrial television
  • SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? Expected use - SD 20% HD 50% UHD 30%
  • Movies, sport, console games, PC use in percentage? 70% Movies, 30% console games (but that's only my switch - and I don't plan on buying a proper next gen console)
  • How close can you view the TV? Viewing distance is approx just under 3m
  • Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? Side, most viewers not straight on, so wide viewing angles are important.
  • What conditions do you view in? Occasional use during the day for switch gaming in an average light room but otherwise all other use is in the evening with little to no lights on.
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? I currently have a terrible Bush 55" HD Argos TV that I've been putting up with for years. Looking to finally invest in a larger good TV that has wide viewing angles suitable for the room.
  • Motion - Not really a concern for me I think given I don't plan on watching any sports.
In terms of pet hates, given the crap TV I currently have I've learnt to put up with lots of things, the only thing I guess is the loss of detail in dark areas does get on my nerves when watching a movie with lots of darks scenes for example.

In terms of PQ attributes, I want a good HDR setup with good HDR brightness for those nights where I might have one or two lights on given I want to make the most of the TV when watching movies, otherwise the most accurate PQ out of the box is the only other concern for me.

In terms of importance:
1. Wide Viewing Angles
2. Sound (I'd really like to avoid getting a soundbar or speakers to keep the setup clean so the TV sound itself, knowing it's limitations, want it to be as good as it can be)
3. HDR PQ
4. Price
5. SDR PQ
6. Smart TV (not really a concern, I'm fine with a firestick 4k for example)

Somebody also recently said I should wait for more TVs with HDMI 2.1 (or just get the XH90) for long term benefit, but given I don't plan on buying a next gen console is that really something I should wait for?

Cheers in advance for your advice.

Firstly now is a bad time to buy a 2020 television as prices are at their highest. That said you can haggle down so I would advise calling Richer Sounds and see what they can do plus they give a 6 year warranty.

Based on your budget and usage, not a gamer, wide angles, built in sound and not liking loss of detail in dark scenes I'd go for the Sony XH9505 which pretty much ticks all your boxes. This is a better set than the Q80 and arguably better than the Q90, certainly bats in the same park and is cheaper.

Since you want good sound built in and also good viewing angles I'd consider the outgoing 2019 Sony AG8 or Panasonic GZ1500.

The Sony was discounted to £1800 on very.co.uk earlier, but has gone back up to 2000 again. Keep an eye on both prices and grab one if it gets discounted again. You can also find them as refurbs from time to time. See these threads:

If you want a brand new 2020 model instead you are best holding off the purchase until Black Friday 2020 or later. But even by then the 2020 models that have good built in sound may still be above £2000.

TVs using VA panels like the Sony XF9005, Samsung Q80T etc have narrow viewing angles. Some TVs like the Q85T and over or Sony XH9505 add wide viewing angle filters which help with that a bit, but viewing angles are not as good as OLEDs. This is a useless discussion for you anyway, since there are no LCD TVs that come with better than your standard built in sound.

Since you want good sound built in and also good viewing angles I'd consider the outgoing 2019 Sony AG8 or Panasonic GZ1500.

The Sony was discounted to £1800 on very.co.uk earlier, but has gone back up to 2000 again. Keep an eye on both prices and grab one if it gets discounted again. You can also find them as refurbs from time to time. See these threads:

If you want a brand new 2020 model instead you are best holding off the purchase until Black Friday 2020 or later. But even by then the 2020 models that have good built in sound may still be above £2000.

TVs using VA panels like the Sony XF9005, Samsung Q80T etc have narrow viewing angles. Some TVs like the Q85T and over or Sony XH9505 add wide viewing angle filters which help with that a bit, but viewing angles are not as good as OLEDs. This is a useless discussion for you anyway, since there are no LCD TVs that come with better than your standard built in sound.
I'm in the exact same situation with OP. I went to Richersound to check out the XH9005 and Q80T. I have to say the XH9005 looks far better with the colour and motion handling. I will be using this tv for PS5 and occasionally movies...should i go for the XH9005 now or should i wait till BF 2020 and make a decision by then?

I took my XH9005 back as had terrible issues. Every source from SD to Dolby Vision had a horrible graininess like an episode of the walking dead.

Did you purchase that from Richersound or John Lewis? What did you end up with as an exchange?

I purchased from curry's but gone back to using my 6 year old Samsung......going to wait for new models to come down in price.
Not the best photo but this was Witcher 3 in dolby vision hdr.....picture really grainy and lots of black crushing
IMG_20200711_172656.jpg

I purchased from curry's but gone back to using my 6 year old Samsung......going to wait for new models to come down in price.
Not the best photo but this was Witcher 3 in dolby vision hdr.....picture really grainy and lots of black crushing
View attachment 1351523

Pretty sure you had a faulty set. Absolutely no issues watching The Witcher on my XF.

Pretty sure you had a faulty set. Absolutely no issues watching The Witcher on my XF.
Whats the quality of HDR TV shows and movies are like? Consider there are posts on here mentioned that the XH9005 isnt bright enough to be a proper HDR tv.

Whats the quality of HDR TV shows and movies are like? Consider there are posts on here mentioned that the XH9005 isnt bright enough to be a proper HDR tv.

The XF9005 can produce around 1000 nits. Not many sets can generate that so if you like HDR then it's up there with the best of them.

The XF9005 can produce around 1000 nits. Not many sets can generate that so if you like HDR then it's up there with the best of them.
Isnt the XF part of the 2019 range? If so it wouldnt support hdmi 2.1 going forward as i cant imagine Sony will provide a software update for the 2019 model?

Isnt the XF part of the 2019 range? If so it wouldnt support hdmi 2.1 going forward as i cant imagine Sony will provide a software update for the 2019 model?

It's actually 2018 that continued on. No it doesn't have 2.1 and won't ever have it

He owned the new XH9005 which has lower peak brightness. Graininess was probably a result of the tone mapping to circa 700 instead 1000 nits...although graininess is present in a lot of content anyway, especially that on Netflix which is highly compressed.
I'm in the exact same situation with OP. I went to Richersound to check out the XH9005 and Q80T. I have to say the XH9005 looks far better with the colour and motion handling. I will be using this tv for PS5 and occasionally movies...should i go for the XH9005 now or should i wait till BF 2020 and make a decision by then?
Sadly the XH9005 has a lower peak brightness compared to the TV it replaces, it puts it in a bad position for future proofing if you want to use HDR. As with any 2020 model right now anyway, you won't want to buy right now, wait for Black Friday.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom