Looking For A 65-Inch LG OLED - Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkKent77

I'm looking for a 65-inch OLED TV. Probably an LG.

I've just started looking, and there seems to be a lot of choice. Can anyone recommend some good ones at around the £1500 mark? I would probably go to £2000 maximum.

It would have to be a TV that works with Apple TV 4K and a Sonos Surround Set.

Dodgexander

For most people the LG BX is suitable, the CX can be a little more impressive with HDR, whilst the GX has the same picture quality, but better built in sound.

Each manufacturer is remarkably similar in picture quality because despite the name on the TV they are all using the same LG OLED panel.

Best to avoid models that are newly released and not in the comparison, since they tend to be expensive.

trynix

I'm on the same boat, comparing the 65BX and CX, and also considering the Sony KD65A8! Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Dodgexander

I'm on the same boat, comparing the 65BX and CX, and also considering the Sony KD65A8! Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)
You can't go wrong with any of them, but really the CX and A8 are a little better than the BX due to increased brightness.

Did you read my comparison link? Usually people opt for LGs because they are all round better with HDMI 2.1 connectivity and good smart TV, but Sony have the edge with motion and built in sound.

trynix

You can't go wrong with any of them, but really the CX and A8 are a little better than the BX due to increased brightness.

Did you read my comparison link? Usually people opt for LGs because they are all round better with HDMI 2.1 connectivity and good smart TV, but Sony have the edge with motion and built in sound.
I've just gone through your comparison (thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to put something together like that!).

I see that the systems I'm comparing are all part of the High-Tier OLED category (though you have a couple more, the panaonic and philips).

Our room has a window that may make the room bright, but we really like OLED's clarity and hope that brightness won't be an issue.
For mainly watching streamed TV content (live channels and some tv shows), would you recommend any of the ones you list in particular from the High Tier list?
Similarly, if we head to the Premium Tier territory, would you favor one over the others for our usecase?

Would really appreciate your thoughts, it's first time I'd be shedding this amount for a TV, so want to get it right :)
I'm planning to head to John Lewis tomorrow to try see them in person, and probably make an order on the spot.

Dodgexander

For mainly watching streamed TV content (live channels and some tv shows), would you recommend any of the ones you list in particular from the High Tier list?
Similarly, if we head to the Premium Tier territory, would you favor one over the others for our usecase?
Not really, they are all suitable, just a case of which features/benefits you want on one compared to another. Most people choose LGs since they have good future proofing and smart TV.

Premium tier tend to be models with better built in sound, they don't have better picture quality than the cheaper options.

martin 39

The panasonic oleds are considered more accurate out of the box and you get all hdr formats yet the app side of things is not so good. I have a 55 fz802 panasonic and a 65 sony a8 which was a steel in j lewis on shop reopening day a month ago. The sony is better for apps. earc etc work flawless compared to my panasonic motion on the sony for golf on sky is better. Yet i still think the panasonic is better on 4k blu-ray in dark scenes but that's about it. The sonys and panasonic always seem to get better reviews tban the lg. I think the lg is only better if you game and need 2.1

trynix

The panasonic oleds are considered more accurate out of the box and you get all hdr formats yet the app side of things is not so good. I have a 55 fz802 panasonic and a 65 sony a8 which was a steel in j lewis on shop reopening day a month ago. The sony is better for apps. earc etc work flawless compared to my panasonic motion on the sony for golf on sky is better. Yet i still think the panasonic is better on 4k blu-ray in dark scenes but that's about it. The sonys and panasonic always seem to get better reviews tban the lg. I think the lg is only better if you game and need 2.1
Thanks for pitching in!
Would love to know what the sonys/panasonics get in terms of better reviews. Is it in terms of picture quality, or UI, or other aspects?

Also, are they all equal in terms of brightness?

martin 39

Sony gets better motion panasonic are more accurate out of the box for film and lg have gaming it all depends what your needs are as dodge says there isnt much between any of them. Loads of reviews on YouTube

Dodgexander

They are all equal in brightness apart from the BX and Panasonic HZ2000. The HZ2000 has some tweaks to its power delivery and has a cooling backplate. The BX is dimmer than the CX.

In 2021 there are some gains to be made in brightness on the following models, but you probably want to spend money on these now as they have just been released and carry a premium. I will say that it you could consider waiting for a lower price on them though.

LG G1 - Uses new Evo panel.
Sony A80J - Same as above.
Sony A90J - Same as above but even brighter due to heatsink.

It is rumored that even the C1 is being shipped with EVO panels that can be unlocked in certain regions, its more likely if you buy a C1 later rather than now that they get the new panel as slowly LG are ramping down production of the old type of panel in favour of the new.

GingerRocky

i'm having the same issues, im after 65-75 OlED for around £1500. LG is coming out top but int in the newer models. whats best for gaming, PS5 especially?

ClarkKent77

Dodge,

Thank you for this. And for the thread with summaries. Very, very helpful.

I've just bought a Sonos Surround Set and Apple TV 4K. With that in mind, which LG 65 OLED would you recommend?

I'm thinking the CX, as you say the GX is the same but with better built-in sound, and since I won't be using the sound, I might as well go with the CX?

With regards to brightness, is the CX noticeably brighter than the BX? The reason I ask is that I generally detest bright light (I have mood lighting in most rooms) so I don't want a TV that bathes the entire room in bright light.

GingerRocky

i think thats my one, LG. only thing i was thinking about is an Android OS might allow apps from my firecube to be installed and then not needing my cube. all in one would be great!

Dodgexander

I'm thinking the CX, as you say the GX is the same but with better built-in sound, and since I won't be using the sound, I might as well go with the CX?
Yes, there's no use going for the GX which has exactly the same picture quality.
With regards to brightness, is the CX noticeably brighter than the BX? The reason I ask is that I generally detest bright light (I have mood lighting in most rooms) so I don't want a TV that bathes the entire room in bright light.
Brightness is only a consideration due to HDR. The brighter the TV can get the more impressive its HDR picture quality. For SDR viewing in your conditions either TV will be fine, and HDR will still be good on the BX, just not quite as good.

vickster

Distinguished Member
really? I can't find a 77 cx/bx for anything less than 3100 GBP (in EU they go for the equivalent of 2500 GBP unfortunately).
Open box clearance model in one store presumably from the description, not standard retail price

GingerRocky

found a nice 65" CX for £1300 from a supplier with 5 yr warranty. going to go for that. model is
LGOLED65CX6L
which i assume is the right one?

fizzgog

found a nice 65" CX for £1300 from a supplier with 5 yr warranty. going to go for that. model is
LGOLED65CX6L
which i assume is the right one?
hi mate, care to divulge where you purchased from? im after the same tv ;)|. thanks...pete

GingerRocky

its one of my suppliers that i deal with, was £1475 inc vat and pallet delivery as very big. i can get one for you, grade A1 which is like new with a 5 yr ticket. let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone