Looking for a 55" TV that's bright and good for SD

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Paul Cooksley, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hello there!

I've currently got a Sony W905a 55" - this is now 5 years old and I am thinking of changing it, as I know 5 years (in TV tech) is now getting on a bit.

I've got a budget of around £800 max and really would be looking for another 55" set that can perform well with SD upscaled material (tend to watch a fair bit of this) and something that is reasonably 'bright' as well (got quite a bright room).

Can I presume perhaps that coming from a 5 year old TV that any TV in this type of monetary range would show an improvement, picture wise?

Are Hisense TV's any good -saw a 55U7A on Richer Sounds Website for £589 that seemed to get very good reviews?

As I say, SD is important as well the brightness, so any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,412
    You will probably need to upgrade to another FHD model if you want SD performance to be as good. Something like the LG A7 FHD OLED.

I wouldn't bother otherwise, SD really doesn't look good upscaled to UHD in my opinion, especially the poorer quality SD streams/TV channels. You may get away with a good DVD on an UHD but it won't beat only having to upscale it to FHD.

Your TV holds up very well, even against mid range models today. To make an upgrade worth it you will have to consider(if possible that is) upgrading the quality of your sources to make it worthwhile taking a hit in quality when you watch the poorer quality stuff.

3. BobTheViewer

BobTheViewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Have a go at tweaking the set you have to see if you can get a bit more out of it.
    there will be recommended setting around you can try.

Unless going to 4k HDR sources or a bigger set there is not a lot to gain with a new one.

most of the smart stuff if not already on the set or have not updated can be added by a cheap box to get more life out of what you have.

A quick read of a review seems you have decent set anyway.
    Do you want to keep 3d.

4. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    The A7 OLED would be the best choice for a proper upgrade. Any UHD within your budget will likely perform worse then your current set when it comes to SD.

I went from a 2014 LG 4k set to the A7. It performs much better when watching SD content via freesat. Plus, you get the added benefits of the OLEDS blacks/contrast.

There is a few downsides though. You'd have to up your budget to £900ish and you'll only get a year warranty, as it'll be a grey import (set not officially released in the UK).