Looking for a 49" - 55" max £450

Lambert91

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 49" - 55" smart tv, max £400 come the black friday sales. Wide viewing angles are NOT required, must be a tv that can't suffer from screenburn, general tv with some sports viewing.

Thanks

A big decision to make when considering cheaper TVs sine those with VA panels have more motion blur.

If VA panel sounds good then consider a 55" Hisense A series, or a 50" model (not 49") from LG, Samsung, Hisense, TCL or Philips.

If IPS is prefered LGs are the best value, consider only 49 and 55" models.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

What are your thoughts on these I have found so far?

Samsung 50" Tu7100 £386
Hisense 50AE7400FTUK - £429
Samsung 50" tu8500 £449

Any of those are fine. To see differences with the Samsung models look here; Samsung телевизори (инфо на първа страница)

The differences are just features, there's nothing conceivably better about the TU8500. But check to see if you'll use any of the features..for example the TU8500 has a smart remote.

The Hisense has a wide colour gamut like the TU8500 has, only useful when watching HDR material. It also supports Dolby Vision HDR the Samsung models lack.

For sports you may consider a 50" model from Philips instead such as their 7 series. They may have the edge with motion.

Any of those are fine. To see differences with the Samsung models look here; Samsung телевизори (инфо на първа страница)

The differences are just features, there's nothing conceivably better about the TU8500. But check to see if you'll use any of the features..for example the TU8500 has a smart remote.

The Hisense has a wide colour gamut like the TU8500 has, only useful when watching HDR material. It also supports Dolby Vision HDR the Samsung models lack.

For sports you may consider a 50" model from Philips instead such as their 7 series. They may have the edge with motion.

How does the Philips compare to the Sony x70 for sport? Would spending the extra £140 make much of a noticeable difference?

The Sony uses an IPS panel instead of VA, motion blur will be less, motion should be better as Sony motion generally is pretty good.

On the other hand, because IPS panels weakness is screen uniformity, in darker conditions the TV may be more prone to dirty screen effect.

Sony's TVs are a bit overpriced, so if you feel like you want one you are probably best waiting for a deal rather than paying current prices.

The Sony uses an IPS panel instead of VA, motion blur will be less, motion should be better as Sony motion generally is pretty good.

On the other hand, because IPS panels weakness is screen uniformity, in darker conditions the TV may be more prone to dirty screen effect.

Sony's TVs are a bit overpriced, so if you feel like you want one you are probably best waiting for a deal rather than paying current prices.

Ah ok, the Sony is on offer at £540, but if I prefer contrast over viewing angle I should go for the Philips? Also, do you know the difference between 50PUS7555, 7505, 8555, and 8505?

Every TV is on offer, makes it look good when they overprice the TVs so much on release.

The X70 is their bottom range UHD model, should be a lot cheaper than that.

Differences between all Philips models are small. If the TVs are all the same size (50", not 49") they will have the same picture quality.

Other most notable difference is the 8 series has Android TV whilst the 7 series Saphi OS (Philips more basic smart TV).

Philips 2020: Übersicht / Line Up / Range aller 2020er Philips TVs - Toengels Philips Blog

Every TV is on offer, makes it look good when they overprice the TVs so much on release.

The X70 is their bottom range UHD model, should be a lot cheaper than that.

Differences between all Philips models are small. If the TVs are all the same size (50", not 49") they will have the same picture quality.

Other most notable difference is the 8 series has Android TV whilst the 7 series Saphi OS (Philips more basic smart TV).

Philips 2020: Übersicht / Line Up / Range aller 2020er Philips TVs - Toengels Philips Blog

Thanks for the advice, I was going to go for the pus8 for Android TV and I've just noticed the pus95005 and pus8555 have gone on offer at Currys for the same price, do you know if there's much of a difference?

Thanks for the advice, I was going to go for the pus8 for Android TV and I've just noticed the pus95005 and pus8555 have gone on offer at Currys for the same price, do you know if there's much of a difference?
If the TVs are the same size picture quality will be or less the same. There may be some small differences like the TV being slightly brighter, or using a 10 bit panel instead of 8, but for the sake of comparison you are best only looking at features in the spec sheet I sent you.

I have no idea why they sell different series of TVs, 7, 8, 9 all so similar there's no point.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom