looking for a 46" TV, what should i go for?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Farside, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Farside

Farside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 46" LCD TV for the living room, ideally i'll be getting a refurbished one as i only have £600 to spend on it so i will be able to get a better spec if i get refurbished / 2nd hand one, probably from a store / shop on ebay.

I will be using it to watch downloaded movies, series (so will need USB & HDMi), and general tv stuff with sky. No computer / consoles will be used on it.

I don't want a panasonic viera as i bought 3 in the past and they all packed in the first time i turned them off, they would not come out of standby lol! 3 TV's in a row, each replacement did the same thing, luckily i bought them new from Amazon and Amazon gives free return postage haha.

So what would you recommend ? i guess if i was buying brand new i would be going for the £800-£1000 range, so what is out now on the market for 2013-2014 that is decent, then i'll look for a refurb one at a discounted price.

I do like Bravias, i bought a 2nd hand one on ebay 6 years ago lol and its still working strong, but its way too small now.

I suppose i could always get it one on credit so i could get a new expensive one, but ideally i want to buy it without using the creditcard.

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  3. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
  4. Farside

Farside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been readiung bad reviews on these tvs due to there poor sound quality and some tvs have faulty screens

5. Farside

Farside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I dont think i'll be able to get any decent new tv for my price mate, i'll have a look for some reviews on the above mentioned tv. thanks

6. Farside

Farside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got or seen a Samsung UE46D7000? Any good?

7. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    LEDs have poor sound in general due to them being so thin. You could add a soundbar at a later date.

8. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Do a search for the owners thread and reviews

What do you think makes a decent TV? Have you looked at any?

Yes, sound isn't great on an LED but it depends how you qualify that too. I have the 32F5000 however in the bedroom and I'd say it's very good

Look in the classifieds if wanting used rather than eBay. Sellers on the forums generally look after their kit better than some eBayer

9. eddie096

eddie096
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just got a samsung ue46eh5000 for a bargin 399,i know it's entry level but i didn't want 3d or smart,the picture's great and sound ok but as i've discovered no ARC so some features you may want may not work ie pass through on an av reciever but over all very pleased

10. Farside

Farside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decent TV for me is just a crystal clear picture, good colours, no blurs, good sound, being able to connect my laptop to it to watch downloads, or use a USB to watch them. That's about it really, main things is the picture quality. I haven't been able to look at any due to living in the sticks and not driving so I can't get to any stores, that's why I'm looking for recommendations on here, I will need to buy online and have it delivered

The reason I was buying from ebay was because I am going to be buying from a shop/stores, not private seller, that way if there is a problem I can always send it back. I doubt many sellers in the classifieds will have saved the box to their TV, so they'd not be able to post it safely. I'll have a look though, Cheers :)

edit: damn, I cant even post or make an advert in the classifieds haha, the site won't allow me as i'm a newbie lol

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  11. Farside

Farside
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The newer model of the UE46EH5000 does look to be getting good reviews on Amazon in general, thanks

12. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    That'll be the 46F5000 as suggested ;) The 5500 is similar but with Smart functions