1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a 42" Plasma...TH42PA20 any good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BritKat, Jun 29, 2004.

1. BritKat

BritKat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I've been lurking here for some time and finally decided to tap into the fount of knowledge which is AVforums!
    I have just moved into my first house and am setting up my AV stuff.
    I am set up for surround sound at the moment so the audio is all pukka... but I am watching my DVD's on a 14" CRT! Not the best way to get the most out of my DVD's.
    I am looking at getting a 42" plasma and have a budget of £2500. The plasma needs to have a built in TV tuner and component input.
    I have run a SCART lead behind the skirting of my living room which will have to carry the connections to the Plasma.
    I need to connect DVD player, Video and Cable (at a later date).
    I am planning to do this all via the Scart.
    Could you tell me if this plasma is any good or if there's a better one for the money??

Mark

2. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42PA20 and think it's a great TV, it will do everything you require. It has now been replaced by the 42PE30 which offers the same features and includes a digital (as opposed to analogue) tuner. You'll struggle to find any PA20's still for sale.

3. fredde

fredde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have there been any test that proves any difference among these models?

4. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    comet still have them...at £2999 though! Fantastic picture, well pleased with it.

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    PA20 is good, but if you really want the best picture quality then a PW6 with a VGA or Component converter is still better. That said, where the PA20 really scores is that it's more functionally like an existing TV. Better picture vs functionality.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The general consenus is that the PW6 will provide a better picture with the right connectors, but if BriKat needs a built in tuner, it's obviously out of the running.

BTW BritKat why do you need a built in tuner? If you have sattelite TV you can probably manage without.

7. BritKat

BritKat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have satellite at the moment and TV tuner is a "wife-demand"!
    Richer sounds are selling them at the moment, so provided I can actually get hold of one I will be soon sitting at home with a nice little telly!

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your only picture souce is via aerial you might be a little disappointed. You really want a digital source sky/freeview/NTL etc to achieve a better broadcast picture quality.

Unless your analogue aerial picture is exceptionally clean and strong I would be wary about using it as your only source.

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've got to agree with Elvis.

What you tend to find is the people are wary of new technology, but accept it once they see the benefit of whatever it does. If your wife does see the quality that you can now get with digital TV sources, she will quickly be a convert! At the very least, consider a Freeview box.

All the best,

John.

10. Brian Hussey

Brian Hussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Although slightly off topic, as I do not have a plasma, do the comments regarding digital vs analogue picture quality apply to rptvs?

I have a 57 inch tosh and a nokia freeview box and while both pictures are quite good, I prefer the analogue one.

Brian.

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Analogue Vs Digital images apply to all TVs!

A good analogue picture can be very appealing. However, you do still suffer from other artefacts, such as cross-colour, because it's a composite based transmission. Fine for when it was invented, but modern TVs easily show up the flaws.

However, digital often have compression artefacts which again are distracting.

Ultimately, the best would be an uncompressed digital transmission. While it is possible, it's not something that is done because for earth based transmissions you don't have enough available bandwidth (the space to allow it to be transmitted, and have other services such as radio, mobiles, and emergency services). You could easily do this via satellite, but you're limited in the amount of power you can use. More data, more power, so compression helps here too.

All the best,

John.

12. Brian Hussey

Brian Hussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you, Symanski.

Brian.

ps The analogue picture is still better! Or maybe my increasing years have affected my eyesight.