Question Looking for a 40"-43" 4K HDR VA Panel TV - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Lutz, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

The time is rapidly approaching where I'll be ditching the dual FHD monitors, and replacing with a 4K screen. Given the proximity of the monitors I think that 43" is my absolute limit.

The room I'm putting this in is also on the dark side (Cue Imperial March...) so from what I've learned a VA panel would be better than an IPS panel.

HDR? Well, it'd be nice for sure, particularly as I plan on getting an XB1X early next year.

The catch is finding a screen that suits all of these needs. I'm not after an all singing, all dancing model, this is more of a stop gap. As I understand it HDR is in, well, "a bit of a mess" with regards to what is what; 10-bit signals going to 8-bit panels and a whole host of other gubbins that I don't yet know about.

I've found a few TVs that seem to fit the criteria well, come in at about £380-£450, and review decently. My main issue is trying to find out the panel type as this information never seems to be listed, and AFAICT it's going to be the biggest factor for me. So I was hoping that someone here has found a matching TV already, or can at least give me some pointers as to where to look.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

2. MattP79

MattP79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Funnily enough I've now found displayspecifications.com and MAYBE a TV that meets my needs... the HiSense H43N5500 / H43N5700.

Does anyone own one of these?

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    That's a common misconception caused by assuming HDR works the same way as SDR. In reality a lot of the extra bit depth is reproduced by the backlight rather than by the LCD panel as in 10-bit SDR.

HDR is a forward looking rewrite of the picture standards that hardware can grow into, so the question to ask isn't 'Does it have HDR?' but 'How much HDR ability does it have?'

Right now we see marked improvements in HDR support all the way up the range because even the top of the range TVs are a long way off what the ideal HDR TV is capable of.

The sweet spot this year is around £1000-1500.

At the sort of sizes and prices you're looking at HDR support is minimal. They're just standard SDR TVs that can read the new HDR formats and do a bit of image processing. For example the global dimming/dynamic contrast function might actually be a bit more accurate due to the metadata instructing TVs how to dim the picture when they can't handle the full HDR range.

More than one model has been known to treat HDR content as a vivid mode and just ramp up the brightness. Luckily manufacturers are good about offering the option to turn it off.

Basically, ignore HDR and focus on general picture quality.

DisplaySpecifications isn't always accurate and you often want a UK source to be certain on panels type but Hisense do generally use VA panels, so they sound like a good choice for your criteria.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
  6. SLS72

SLS72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Unfortunately there is no capable HDR TV at 43". They start at 49". Unless you can find space and budget for a 49" Sony XE90 which is the cheapest HDR capable TV on the market then I would avoid HDR content altogether.