Looking for a 3D TV for my bedroom - advice!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by shiggins1981, Jan 5, 2012.

1. shiggins1981

shiggins1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at getting a 40-42" 3D tv for my bedroom. I have been doing a bit of research but keep getting conflicting advice! My budget is only £500 top end so i'm looking for a budget set. The screen will be mostly used for watching sport and films with a bit of gaming although this isn't such a big deal to me. So i'm basically wondering......

a) is passive or active technology better? I've head active can give you headaches but passive don't give as good/sharp an image on 3d content?
    b) would a plasma or LED screen be better?
    c) the screen will be wall mounted so will be raised above eye level (the bottom of the screen will be about level with my head when i'm sat at my desk, which backs against the wall the tv will hang from) so will this effect 3d viewing?

The screen i have seen that i like the look of the most is the Toshiba 40TL868G but i can't find any reviews online. Anybody got an info on this screen?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
  3. shiggins1981

shiggins1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Jason, i didn't notice that other thread!

Still if anybody can give me some information on point C and that specific screen i mentioned that would be great. Thanks.

4. lethal1000

lethal1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +350
    probably will with passive unless it is tilted towards you,but not active.sorry do not know about that screen you mention.hth

5. shiggins1981

shiggins1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it will be tilted down like the one i have now. cheers that's great, thanks

6. Ari33

Ari33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Passive has a vertical viewing angle of aprox 15 deg, so untilted- it will depend on how far back you sit if it will be ok.
    Tilted- it defo wont be a problem for the primary viewers but you may find other viewers, ie those who are standing or sitting further back in the room may be out of the 15 deg angle viewing area.

7. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    The set you mention is an active set and I'm not aware of it getting particularly good reviews.

The passive variant (which does get great reviews) is the Toshiba 42VL863B although it's a little bigger :)

Have you considered this for a real bargain:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-tv-technology/1546441-tesco-technika-42-3d-tv-deal.html

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. shiggins1981

shiggins1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually saw that Technika set in Tesco myself the other day. I mentioned it to the lad in Richer Sounds yesterday and he said it was a load of crap basically! To be fair to the lad he seemed genuine enough.....he was slating some of the sets they had in his own shop :) he recommended an LG passive system.
    Then when i went to Currys the lad in there was saying get an Active plasma set....hence the confusion!

Oh and that set looks lovely, unfortunately a bit out of my budget :thumbsdow

9. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I would not take seriously the opinions of salesmen in the shops. They usually recommend sets which they get more commission/profits. If you can test thoroughly, trust only your own eyes.

10. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I just picked up an LG PW450T from Amazon for £400 (Richer Sounds have them at £379) and for a toe dipping its ok.

Again I needed a cheap and cheerful tv for now and to be honest the only issue is that at £50 for an extra pair of specs is quite a lot.
    Its mounted at head height and I've run PS3 and Sky 3D through it and so far so good! Its only a 720p panel but I've only ever run sky at 720p rather than 1080i and its fine for me...

Worth a demo and fits well into your price bracket...

Tone

11. shiggins1981

shiggins1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate :smashin: