• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for a 37" or 40" LCD for around the £500 mark...

ash_s3

Established Member
Hi

Im looking for an LCD TV for around the £500 mark.
Either 37 or 40", ideally full HD too.

It will be used for watching SD TV either freeview or Sky+, PS3 (games and BD) and Xbox 360.

Ive seen the What HiFi S+V group test this month on 37" TVs and really like the look and price of the Samsung LE37B550

When searching for the best deals around i have noticed other models with similar numbers the B551 for example, this seems the same but with a red tinted bezel, is this right? Samsung model numbers are really confusing, cant tell which is higher/lower spec.

Basically can someone advise me on this TV? Where can i find it cheapest or is there better for my cash?

Many thanks

UKseagull

Standard Member
It is very confusing as I've discovered this weekend, just ordered a 32" Samsung from Curry's.
Samsung LE32B551A 32" 1080p LCD TV

It seems that the DSG group (think it's DSG), i.e Currys, PC World and I think Dixons have the 551's with the Rosewood bezel. I called into Comet today and they have B554 models with black bezels, these are very similar but with some small spec deifferences, for example a different number of HDMI connections, USB too. If you Google for Samsung Baltic, you should find the 551's shown there. Hopefully you'll be able to find the info that you need.

ash_s3

Established Member
Thanks mate, so what difference is the 554? Is it better or lower spec wise?
Seems some products (especially Samsung) have models exclusive to certain stores

Ash

UKseagull

Standard Member
I can only really compare the 551 and the 554 as they're the one's that I've seen in the flesh. The bezel colour seems to be the main difference, Curry's & PC World have the 551 in Rosewood and Comet have the 554 in black, although the unboxed 554 showed 550 series on the packaging. I think it's just down to the individual styling for each company that sells the TV's, it's a plan to cause confusion.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom