Looking for a 37" for £600, which one?

Jazzy639

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Most likely going to John Lewis/Comet today to look at a 37" LCD or Plasma.

We will be sitting 7-9ft from the TV so I think this is the optimal size.

The TV will be used for:
  • Sky+ (SD) 70%
  • DVD (SD but Upscalled) 15%
  • Nintento Wii 10%
  • Xbox 360 5%

The 360 is kept in a bedroom with a 23" so it may be moved down once or twice for the big screen. Other than that, the TV is really for SD but HD in the near future when SkyHD is no extra a month or when freesat comes out.

So, which do you recommend?

I'm already looking at the Samsung LE37R87BDX, Panasonic TH37PX70.

Thanks in advance!

PS also posted in LCD section

I have only heard great reviews about panasonic rather than samsung!

I have been looking myself also - although for a 42 inch tv!

Of the tv's in your budget i and many others would reccomend the 37PX70.

I have only heard great reviews about it. Especially for sd tv!

You can get great prices for this on digitaldirect for under £600 with wall mount (which is the best i have seen)

I was looking to buy the 37PX but after seeing it i want to go bigger. But if its for the bedroom it will be big enough!

Good luck!

PS. Try get John Lewis to price match!

Thanks for the reply!

Its for the living room which is a rectangular room, so I am sitting 8-9ft from the TV. I think 37" is the optimal size. Most likely will go with the 37PX70 and if 42", the 42PX70.

Going to John Lewis for the 5 year guarantee I think but they only pricematch the local area? Im in Scotland, there are no Empire Direct's here!

Went to John Lewis today, saw the 42PX70 and they were running a rubbish old DVD through it, looked awful but so did all the other Panasonic sets.... Ill take your word for it that its good! They didnt have the 37". Interestingly, I had a look at the Samsung PS42Q97HD Plasma - the blacks looked better on the LE series LCD! I thought Plasma's are better for deep blacks? Anyway, waiting for stock of the stand for the 37PX70 and will most likely order.

So, before I do, is there anything else I should look at?

Read into the other forums on the 37px70 - alot of great reviews! Do this to get an insight into what owners think of this tv!
Panasonic are also one of the more reliable manufacturers. I was deciding between the Samsung Q97 and the PX70 both 42 inch and most people are saying to go for the panasonic.

But dont be fully persuaded by others views (this is just a great insight) - always best to have a look for yourself!

Good Luck!

Go for a bigger screen. I bought a 37" years ago (see my thread) and wish now I had gone bigger.I think this is a common feeling once it is home and turned on. Please don't be fooled into getting an LCD. Best pic is Plasma.

i got a 42px70...wish i had gone for the 50px70...

We had a 32" in there first....but when the 42 arrived it looked massive,...
3 weeks later...it seems to have strangely shrunk :eek:

i got a 42px70...wish i had gone for the 50px70...

We had a 32" in there first....but when the 42 arrived it looked massive,...
3 weeks later...it seems to have strangely shrunk :eek:

I have been looking at purchasing the panasonic 42px70 and i am on the verge of doing so. Is there anything that you particularly like or dislike about the tv? This would help me alot.
I will be sitting about 8-10 feet away is this tv going to be too big?

I have been looking at purchasing the panasonic 42px70 and i am on the verge of doing so. Is there anything that you particularly like or dislike about the tv? This would help me alot.
I will be sitting about 8-10 feet away is this tv going to be too big?

No.....not too big at all.
Dislikes about this tv......None.
I like everything about it......
Especially the quality of the standard definition.....:D
We sit about 7 feet away.....

Thanks alot!

I have really found this site useful for honest reviews!
I have been looking into it constantly for the past two weeks and have gained a great knowledge. But reading expert reviews did not convince me fully (even though its all great reviews). But i think i am now convinced after all the help i have recieved on the site.

Will look at buying one as soon as i can get a good deal (sooner the better)!

Jazzy 639: Good luck with finding your 37 plasma!

Also I hope you found the panasonic in John Lewis was there before so hope it was still there so you could have a look! (also sounds great with the sound system - think that may be my next purchase!

All the best!

Thanks for the info! 37" is as big as we can get... its only an 8ft viewing distance. Waiting on JL having stock of the stand, then I think we will order it!

What do you mean by "only an 8' viewing distance" ? :eek:
42" may seem massive, but as mentioned already, they seem so much smaller a few weeks down the line.
I watch a 43" set at much less with no problems whatsoever. The 'big screen' effect soon becomes normal in no time. My wife prefers our plasma now btw, having originally given me the "far too big speech" before we bought it. (A lot of convincing later and she's converted). :smashin:
Personally I always go for the biggest screen at the cinema. Why settle for less at home with prices being so low, for your own cinema 'in house' ? :clap:

I was told this weekend just gone by JL in manchester that they wont be getting any more TVs with the cab but that was for the 42".

They only had just the TV in stock. I bought from ED and got TV and stand.

Saw the 37 and 42, took gamble on 42 as it may have been too big for the space between wall and fire. Once setup it was fine. PQ is very very good and much better than i ever expected. Even on freeview with poor ariel.

Extremely good TV; better than any LCD i saw that was affordable. At the current prices its an absolute bargain but dont hang around as dont assume there will be a big next batch.

As for viewing distances. We sit 12ft from the 42 and 8/9ft on the other chair. Screen great this distance.

Its actually the wife thats saying 42 is way to big, adn the tv distance calculator recommends a 37, I would like a 42 though...

I find the the 'her indoors' calculation method can be deeply flawed and usually biased towards lower figures (including budgets). Explain to your wife (as I TRIED to do to mine) that she may in fact be incorrect in her decision making skills and that perhaps she should not be concerning herself with such 'non domestic' matters. :devil:
Since purchasing a much larger set , my wife has seen the 'error of her ways' and admits now that men are in fact better 'judges' of size when it comes to boys toys. (A fact long since accepted in most male circles):D

If you haven't already ordered, the 42 may be a good bet. We (usually the wife actually) watch ours from as little as 6' at times and it's fine. It will seem huge to begin with but you get used to it very quickly.

I was looking at the 42PX70 but was worried it would be too big. Ive also read a couple of reviews saying that the 37PX70 had a better picture than the 42 version. But based on what people have said here the 42 is back in contension!

I'd more or less settled on PX70, just a case of which size, and then I saw the Samsung LE37R87 (and LE40R87) in the shop and that looked great too. Give my only current HD source is my 360 and Microsoft helped develop the Gamemode on the Samsung, it would make sense to look at that one (blacks look great). But the 360 covers over a third of my TV usage and the other 2/3s is watching SD TV (cable, and including Sky Sports) and streamed video from my PC, which I understand makes the Panny more suited!

Spend more than a week reading and reading, trying to decide. Think I will flip a coin. Thanks to the people whove posted in this thread, hearing other peoples input is always of great help

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom